Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Robbins

StevieR

Hi,this is my first posting, please help.

I am trying to research my grandfather William Robbins,135592 RFA,I believe a driver who joined in 1916, 259 Battery.My father believes he served in Salonika but after that the trail runs out.

I visited the N A and no peronal records exist, I have only two medals so I am sure he did not serve in Western Europe and he did survive the war.

I would like to know where 259 Battery served.

Thanks, Steve

Steve,

A copy of his MIC

Cheers Andy

Steve,

A copy of his MIC

Cheers Andy

Thanks Andy, there is a number written under the heading 'page' any ideas what it refers to.

Steve

Hi,trylooking on the long,long trail website,the link is at the top left of this forum,it has a history of rfa,hope it helps.

good luck julie

Many thanks, Steve

Welcome to the forum Steve,

firstly just to clarify it's the 259th Brigade RFA (not battery) which was part of the 52nd (Lowland) Division which served in Egypt, Gallipoli, Palestine and finally arriving in France during April 1918 where it remained until the Armistice.

The 259th Bde was previously the 3rd Lowland Bde RFA and was a pre war TF unit which consisted of the 1/1st, 1/2nd and 1/3rd City of Glasgow Batteries. During May 1916 the brigade was numbered CCLIX (259th) and the batteries became 'A', 'B' and 'C' Btys respectively. During September 1916 the brigade was renumbered and became CCLXII (262nd). On the 25th December 1916 'C' Bty was broken up and divided between 'A' and 'B' Btys and a new 'C' (Howitzer) Bty joined on the 30th December which then left on the 1st July 1917. On the 3rd April 1918 the 262nd Bde left the division and was attatched to the 7th Indian (Meerut) Division in Palestine.

cheers, Jon

Welcome to the forum Steve,

firstly just to clarify it's the 259th Brigade RFA (not battery) which was part of the 52nd (Lowland) Division which served in Egypt, Gallipoli, Palestine and finally arriving in France during April 1918 where it remained until the Armistice.

The 259th Bde was previously the 3rd Lowland Bde RFA and was a pre war TF unit which consisted of the 1/1st, 1/2nd and 1/3rd City of Glasgow Batteries. During May 1916 the brigade was numbered CCLIX (259th) and the batteries became 'A', 'B' and 'C' Btys respectively. During September 1916 the brigade was renumbered and became CCLXII (262nd). On the 25th December 1916 'C' Bty was broken up and divided between 'A' and 'B' Btys and a new 'C' (Howitzer) Bty joined on the 30th December which then left on the 1st July 1917. On the 3rd April 1918 the 262nd Bde left the division and was attatched to the 7th Indian (Meerut) Division in Palestine.

cheers, Jon

Hi Jon, thanks for that, I am slightly more confused now, so how would I find which battery he went to and where it served.

Is it worth another trip to the N A ?

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve,

with the absence of service records it's extremely difficult if not impossible to say which battery William served with. The brigade war diaries are held at the NA, so if getting there is not too difficult I would say yes, it's worth the visit, although it's unlkely tat the diaries would name an OR but at least they should give you accurate locations and time lines. I'll have a quick online search and let you know the WO 95 references,

cheers, Jon

Hi Steve,

with the absence of service records it's extremely difficult if not impossible to say which battery William served with. The brigade war diaries are held at the NA, so if getting there is not too difficult I would say yes, it's worth the visit, although it's unlkely tat the diaries would name an OR but at least they should give you accurate locations and time lines. I'll have a quick online search and let you know the WO 95 references,

cheers, Jon

Hi Jon, thank you again for the reply, it seems that the Artillery is a difficult one to follow.To visit the N A means a trip from Birmingham, if I thourght there were any leads to follow, I would get someone down there to do the research for me.

Cheers, Steve

Steve: Are you using the notation 'RFA/259B' on the medal index card as your evidence that he was in 259th Battery/Brigade, RFA? If so, that is not correct, as that is the volume number for the medal roll on which his name appears and has nothing to do with the unit in which he served.

Regards, Dick Flory

Steve: Are you using the notation 'RFA/259B' on the medal index card as your evidence that he was in 259th Battery/Brigade, RFA? If so, that is not correct, as that is the volume number for the medal roll on which his name appears and has nothing to do with the unit in which he served.

Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Dick,thanks for the reply, but I have to confess that you have lost me.As this is all new to me I do not fully understand the information on the medal card, other than his service number and that he did serve in the RFA.

If anyone can tell me what the rest of it means I would be greatful, as I spent the best part of the day at the NA with my father last year and came away with nothing.

Regards,Steve

Steve: My question is how did you know that your man served in 259th Battery as you mentioned in your first post? Regards, Dick Flory

Steve: My question is how did you know that your man served in 259th Battery as you mentioned in your first post? Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Dick, I thourght that the numbers on the medal card :RFA/259b refered to the Brigade or Battery number,these numbers are under the heading;Roll, followed by 31918 under the heading page.

When I say I thourght, I was steered in this direction by the people at the NA.

Regards, Steve

Actually that is the volume number for the volume that contains his name on the medal roll and as far as I know has nothing to do with the unit in which he served. Regards, Dick Flory

Steve

The mistake highlighted by Dick is a common one.

The Medal Rolls are worth checking because they do sometimes provide information about the last unit served with rather than simply a reference to a particular Base Depot from which the serviceman was discharged.

Your best bet is to check the local paper and the Absent Voters List (if one exists) to see if any information can be found.

I think about the only thing that can be gleaned from the MIC and the service number is enlistment under the Darby Scheme in December 1915 and a call up thereafter dependent upon age and marital status.

regards

Mel

Steve

The mistake highlighted by Dick is a common one.

The Medal Rolls are worth checking because they do sometimes provide information about the last unit served with rather than simply a reference to a particular Base Depot from which the serviceman was discharged.

Your best bet is to check the local paper and the Absent Voters List (if one exists) to see if any information can be found.

I think about the only thing that can be gleaned from the MIC and the service number is enlistment under the Darby Scheme in December 1915 and a call up thereafter dependent upon age and marital status.

regards

Mel

Thanks Mel, where would I find the the sources you reference. Regards, Steve