Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gentlemen, We will stand and fight: Le Cateau 1914

phil andrade

Anthony Bird has just had this book published - according to Amazon, it was released last week.

Nigel Cave and Jack Sheldon have recently provided us with their meticulously researched book, which, I thought, had dispelled many myths about this battle.

Please let me know if you have anything to report about this latest foray into the arena of Mons literature.

Phil.

Anthony Bird has just had this book published - according to Amazon, it was released last week.

Nigel Cave and Jack Sheldon have recently provided us with their meticulously researched book, which, I thought, had dispelled many myths about this battle.

Please let me know if you have anything to report about this latest foray into the arena of Mons literature.

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know when this is to be released ?

Amazon don't seem to know.

Mick

From memory, it was supposed to be relaeased on December 19th last : at least, that's what the Amazon flyer said.

Phil.

• 5 weeks later...

Mick,

I would be grateful to any feed back it has in reference to SD and Forestier-Walker and their conduct around Le Cateau, with reference to the meeting that decided that stand.

regards

Arm

Mick,

I would be grateful to any feed back it has in reference to SD and Forestier-Walker and their conduct around Le Cateau, with reference to the meeting that decided that stand.

regards

Arm

Arm, here's a link to a post I made a while ago, which quotes Smith-Dorrien's memoirs about that meeting: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...t&p=1005021

Or you can read a relevant chunk of those memoirs here: http://www.richthofen.com/smith-dorrien/dorrien24a.htm

Cheers-salesie

Arm,

My 'to do' pile of books must be 6 feet tall !

but as soon as I read it I'll post feed back, I hope to read it before I visit the area in April this year.

Mick

Mick,

Many thanks.

regards

Arm

• 2 weeks later...

My copy arrived Thursday - although I saw it in Hatchards a month ago. It is a well paced account, slightly and pleasantly discursive in a Richard Holmes sort of way ( I was thinking of his Riding the Retreat asides). I had only read about this battle in the broadest terms, and am still reading,sond am not really in a position topass valid judgement but I would say:

It lacks refs although contains some page notes- inexcusable

Pictures are printed on copy pages (US style) and suffer - unhappily and increasing trend

Proof reading is average - what happened to the proper proof readers that used to bash me up as a young journo.

Bibliog looks slim

Price is 5p short of £20 - and it will never make paperback printing I suspect.

I'm certainly not rubbishing the book, it will beinteresting to see Jack's views!!!

I received an Email yesterday informing me that Amazon have finally dispatched a copy of this book to my home address.

I saw it a few days ago on the shelf of a friend, who said he had it some weeks ago and had already read it. On asking was it ok?, he replied "Ye ok. Did not tell me anything I did not already know" That is not an insult, he is pretty knowledgeable chap. I got the impression it was a book of love rather than scholar if that makes sense.

Regards

Arm

• 2 weeks later...

The book struggles to reconcile itself with Jack Sheldon's analysis, and consequently becomes a bit ambivalent in regard to the extent of German losses in the battle, with some clumsily expressed conclusions, e.g. " All of which suggests that Jack Sheldon's figure of 2,000 German casualties is not so exaggerated, even if it still leaves an unaccountable shortfall."

Doesn't he mean understated, rather than exaggerated?

Not a work of scholarship...but a compelling read, with a good "feel" for the subject. The book gives pleasure rather than increases knowledge.

This is an "anorak" kind of comment: the photo on the cover depicts dead British soldiers...the one in the foreground has what looks suspiciously like a gas respirator box and hose close to his body: if so, this must be a lot later than the 1914 fighting. Please tell me what you think that object is....my knowledge of this sort of thing is pathetic!

Phil.

• Admin

I have just given this to my father for his birthday today- will be interested to see what he makes of it.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
I have just given this to my father for his birthday today- will be interested to see what he makes of it.

Michelle

• Admin

Pops just hit add reply or fast reply to reply to a post!

Michelle

Like David and Arms friend I enjoyed the book and thought it a labour of love . It also confirmed again my opinion of the debt French owed to Smith Dorrien .

Maurice

• 11 months later...

I've just received my copy and will be eager to read it, but what struck me immediately is the cover photo on the dust jacket and on book interior page 116. The photo is from the Vogel Collection and is supposed to be from 1914.

If you have a copy, look at the lower center of the photo and specifically at the object with what looks like a hose attached. It is lying to the right of the dead soldier at the bottom left of the photo. That sure does look like a gas mask canister to me. What do you think?

All the best,

Dan

This is an "anorak" kind of comment: the photo on the cover depicts dead British soldiers...the one in the foreground has what looks suspiciously like a gas respirator box and hose close to his body: if so, this must be a lot later than the 1914 fighting. Please tell me what you think that object is....my knowledge of this sort of thing is pathetic!

Phil.

There you have it, Dan...I made that same observation.

Incidentally, it will be interesting to see how Zuber's new book on Mons works its magic on this book, too !

Phil

A word of wisdom once passed to me was that 'you can suggest a photograph for the cover of your book, but often it won't get past the publisher's graphic designers, right or wrong'. I hope the author did not supply the photo. Friend of mine once edited a series of scholarly articles on the Battle of France, 1940 - the publishers put a photo of German infantry in Russia on the dust jacket, much to his annoyance.

There you have it, Dan...I made that same observation.

Incidentally, it will be interesting to see how Zuber's new book on Mons works its magic on this book, too !

Phil

My copy arrived yesterday and I put it aside. I've just had a look. I don't know what that is but if I was told it was a gasmask, I would accept it. But...There are no helmets only soft caps. There is no sign of a gas mask container/haversack. What were the relative dates of introduction of helmets and SMBs? The picture seems to be of artillerymen with the limber up the road from the bodies. Could it be a piece of artillery kit? I have not even read the foreword yet but I have scanned the back and skimmed the book. The photos are mentioned on the back cover but do not strike me as anything special. That will be of little or no importance for my purposes. The text is what matters to me. Never judge a book by its blurb,eh?

I did not look at the cover photo at all until someone mentioned it here, but it might well have been taken later in the war. Why? The two dead Tommies in the foreground have had their boots taken and I am not aware that the German army resorted to this until much later in the war. Has anyone checked with the Vogel Collection?

Jack

Hmm. If they had the boots perhaps they had the haversack away as well? If helmets are still trench stores, this must be earlyish 1916? What were German boots like at this time?