Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Third Battle of Ypres - 8th Seaforth Highlanders

Gordon Haymes

Dear Members,

Trying to establish what the 8th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders were doing late July and up to 2nd August 1917, Looking to

trace the death of 2nd Lt Robert Paterson Smith died 2-08-17.

Any help or direction appreciated

Many Thanks

Gordon J Haymes

Gordon,

8 Seaforths were the reserve Bttn of of 44 Brigade and were in suppot of ( Black watch and 8/10 Gordons on the initial assault on Frezenberg ridge, to the NE of Ypres.

By 1/8/17 they were holding a line just east of the Black line, and was based on the road running south from Frost House. They were not in contact with 13 RSF, who held Borry Farm, about 500 yds further advanced. The situation deteriorated during the afternoon, such that a charge by the Camerons and the reseve company of the Seaforths had to be made to ensure the ridge was retained. 1 officer and 70 ORs of the German 221 Div were captured in the charge.

The position remianed much the same on 2/8/17 and the lijnes were subject to german shelling. The Division was out of the line by 4/8/1917.

Lt R P Smith MC is recorded ans dying of wounds on 2/8/1917. The 2 other officer fatalities in the battn were on 1/8/17. He may have been wounded earlier than the Frezenberg attack, but if you look at the history of the cemetery on the CWGC site, it often relates which medical facilities were at that location, and that should be an indicator of how recent his wounds were ( ie the nearer the front, the more recent).

All the details are from the 15th Scottish Div history

Regards

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gordon and all

My Grandfather, Robert Morrison, was serving with the 8th Seaforths when he was wounded on 22-08-17 and died on 23-08-17. I have a copy of the Battalion's war diaries for the month of August. Unfortunately the entry for the time in question refers to an appendix which I don't have. and I'm not sure how to go about getting it. The entry reads:

Frezenberg 1-3 Aug 1917 A full report of operations from July 31st to August 3rd inclusive is attached as an appendix.

References are to map attached and to sheet 28 NW & sheet 28NE 1:20 000.

Bivouac camp 4 Aug 1917 The battalion arrived at bivouac camp in H16a (sheet 28 NW 1:20 000). The battalion marched to crossroads at H8 to 7.4 (sheet 28 NW:20 000) and embussed? & proceeded to Winnezeele debussing at Le Temple in J22d (sheet 27 1:40 000). The Battalion then proceeded by march route to camp at J4d 6.4 near Winnezeele arriving there at 5.50pm. 2 men fell out en route. Weather very showery. 2/lt C.J. MacKenzie Grieve joined the battalion for duty.

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post so I'm not sure about attaching a copy of the war diaries themselves, but let me know if you would like me to send a copy to you direct. Or if someone can assure me that its ok to insert them as images here I'll do so.

Regards

Charlie Morrison

Dear Members,

Trying to establish what the 8th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders were doing late July and up to 2nd August 1917, Looking to

trace the death of 2nd Lt Robert Paterson Smith died 2-08-17.

Any help or direction appreciated

Many Thanks

Gordon J Haymes

Hi Members,

I'm trying to research a soldier who won the MM with 8/10 Gordon's at Ypres.

Anyone have a unit history for that battle?

Any assistance or direction appreciated.

Steven