Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit Identity by location?

4thGordons

Can anyone suggest the identity of a kilted unit, based on their presence in Tunbridge Wells in mid 1915? (March-July at least)

Probably a "Kitchener Bn"

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Chris I dont know if this information is any good to you.. 1/9th Battalion TF Liverpool Regiment were at Tunbridge Wells from Oct 1914 untill they left for France on the 10th March 1915 the 1/10th (Scottish) Battalion TF were there from the 10th Oct 1914 untill 2nd Nov 1914. Kilted ?

Cheers Rob.

1/9th Battalion TF Liverpool Regiment were at Tunbridge Wells from Oct 1914 untill they left for France on the 10th March 1915 the 1/10th (Scottish) Battalion TF were there from the 10th Oct 1914 untill 2nd Nov 1914. Kilted ?

Cheers Rob.

Thanks Rob - that looks hopeful.

I just picked up 4 photo pcs and two are postmarked / dated to the period. Although the July dated one is handwritten and may refer to when it was sent rather than when it was taken

I am just scanning them now...badges may be identifiable enlarged on some....

Chris

Chris I got this information from the British Regiments 1914-1918 and there was no other Scottish regiments posted there. Lots of other English locations but not Tumbridge Wells.

Cheers Rob.

Chris I got this information from the British Regiments 1914-1918 and there was no other Scottish regiments posted there. Lots of other English locations but not Tumbridge Wells.

Cheers Rob.

Right you are. Thanks again.

Well here is a detail from the pic. One badge (left) looks Liverpol Scottish but what about the other?Looks to have a horse on but......

Upon examination I do think all 4 pics are the same unit / same time and have 2 pics of the Band.

Chris. The prancing horse was on the Kings Liverpool 10th (Scottish ) Battalion badge I am sure it was I will check and get back to you.

Cheers Rob.

Chris the chap on the right looks as if he is wearing an early pattern of a pipers badge of the 10th Liverpool Scottish. the White horse of Hanouver in a circled belt. Great photograph by the way.

Rob.

Chris,

As Rob says, Liverpool Scottish, both of them. 2/10th (Scottish) Battalion, The King's (Liverpool Regiment) TF was there from the end of February 1915 for three months. The 1/10 KLR had been there as well when on their way to France in October 1914; they left Southampton on 1 November 1914.

The photo shows the P1908 badge of the Liverpool Scottish on the left (the White Horse of Hanover on the Saltire with Liverpool Scottish on the top of the circlet). The badge on the right is the old volunteer badge, P1900, of the 8th (Scottish) Volunteer Battalion of the King's (Liverpool Regiment) taken out of use on the formation of the Territorial Force. This is the White Horse within the legend 8th Volunteer Battalion or some such - I can't find a picture just at the moment. There is quite a lot of photographic evidence that soldiers were using it, presumably because of shortages at the start of the war (or possibly pre-1908 men who had rejoined although your chap looks a bit (but not impossibly) young for that. We have no knowledge at all of a piper's badge for the Liverpool Scottish.

I will show this to a colleague tomorrow. He may even recognise the chaps. Any clues to identity on the postcards?

Ian

Ian,

You were to be my next port of call!

Here are the 4 photos in full - I'd be happy to send you hi-res scans if it would be useful.

First the one the detail is from. Looks to be the signal section.

P14 leather equipment, semaphore flags and heliographs etc. Chap2nd from the left in the second row appears not to have a cap-badge at all.

The cut of the pocket flaps on some of the tunics suggest to me that these are pre-war territorial uniforms (the pocket flaps are scalloped), a good many of them appear also to have dark (leather or...) and smaller buttons than the standard GS brass buttons (compare the two standing on the left as we look)

This photo was taken by Johnson, Bird and Co, 59 High Street, Tunbridge Wells.

on the back is handwritten (in period fountain pen script) Sincerely Yours Ted (31/7/1915)

3 more to follow.

From the same group - appear to be in front of a large building (perhaps a railway station?) I cannot make out the signs over the doorways. I suspect this is in a city rather than in Tunbridge wells so I thought perhap it was a "Bn leaving Liverpool" type picture. The picture has a "Daily Dispatch" (Manchester and London) imprint, and has E.Hulton and Co London and Manchester Copyright.

This one is also signed Ted, and is postmarked 7th March 1915. (I assume Ted is arrowed) - sent to an address in SEACOMBE, Cheshire. (Miss B Surgenor) Text reads: Dear Bessie, This is a photo of the band on the march, what do you think of it? See our kid. Kind Regards, Ted

This last one is umarked and appears to show the same bandsmen resting (among the chickens!)

It has a postcard back but no publisher, postmarks or annotation. It is probably later however (certainly not on the same day) as in this picture (as in the second one) they have puttees rather than gaiters on.

Chris,

Super photos. Thanks. I'll show these to Dennis tomorrow to ask for his comments. There is a good chance that my Great Uncle Tom Riley is on the signallers' photo. I'll sen a copy to my first cousin once removed, his daughter, with the Christmas card!

Ian

PS Leather buttons were quite popular with the Liverpool Scottish

Excellent - thanks very much.

That looks quite like the building in the background of the marching picture I posted to me too.

I just discovered a couple more pictures so I will try and post them

Chris

Photographer is Webster: Romeny Studio Tunbridge Wells

Interesting mix of equipement here: 6 pouch 08 web (no upper pouches), some 1903 leather belts, 1/2 kilt apron etc

Edited by 4thGordons

The Caption to this picture is Liverpool Scottish Arriving at Tunbridge Wells 1914

all the best fae Dundee Gary.F.

Indeed, that's the 1/10th (Scottish) Battalion The King's (Liverpool Regiment) sometime in October 1914, probably 10 October. They went on to France and Flanders at the very beginning of November 1914.

The two officers in the foreground are, I think, wearing swords. I am not a weapons expert (or anything else expert) but is that not the long Lee Enfield on the right. Boots have still to be issued.

Ian

We think that the signallers are 2/10 KLR especially as the 1/10 KLR was having a hot time of it in Belgium in July 1915. Some of these signallers turn up in an authenticated photo of the 2/10 signal section taken later.

Ian