Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Medal Cards, Different Spelling of Surname?

kovalik

Hello,

I have 2 medal cards which seem to be the same person with a different spelling of the surname. I am VERY new to WW1 research, if anyone with more experience could help me with this, I would be very grateful.

The date of KIA on the "McGINN" card is correct for my great uncle who is listed on the "McGENN" card. I'm sure the "McGENN" card is correct as I have corroborating evidence from his gravestone which mentions his battalion number, date of death and his Wife's name and address.

Is it common for there to be more than one card for a soldier?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am just beginning my research.

Georgia :D

post-41326-1227197125.jpg

post-41326-1227197139.jpg

I'm not exactly an expert on these, either!

Normally, all three medals are recorded on the same card.

What appears to have have happened is that the bottom card was opened under the name 'McGinn' when he was awarded the 1914 Star (awarded to those who entered theatre before the end of 1914). Somewhere along the line his name has been changed from the originally recorded 'McGinn' to 'McGenn', and a second card started to record the award of the Victory and British War medals, which were awarded at the end of the war. In other words, when it came time to record the latter two medals on his card, someone looked for the card under the name name McGenn and couldn't find it, so they started the second card.

It's the same person (the service number and regiment is the same). You may well find that there are two spellings on his medals as well (if you have them).

Hope that helps!

Bob.

I would say Bob has it right. I have seen other similar situations and often there is a cross reference on each card with the alternative spelling. Here I believe that is done by the number "79". John

Bob

I don't know about you but it looks to me like both cards were written out by the same person. Very similar handwriting.

Ellie

The "79" usually denotes the Army Precedence of the Regiment - the "pecking order" as it were... The Cameron Highlanders were the old 79th Regiment of Foot (i.e. the 79th Regiment to be formed).

Steve.

Bob

I don't know about you but it looks to me like both cards were written out by the same person. Very similar handwriting.

Ellie

I think you're right. Mind you, that person probably wrote out thousands of them. I can't remember what I did two minutes ago, let alone be able remember one amongst all those record cards!