Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt. William Aiton - Roll of Honour lookups

alf mcm

I am looking for someone to lookup the Rolls of Honour for Edinburgh University and George Watson's College {if this exists}. I am interested in William Aiton who was at George Watson's from 1905 to 1908, and at Edinburgh University in 1909-1913.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf - the Roll of Honour for Edinburgh University is available online at

http://www.archive.org/details/rollofhonour191400univuoft

This is the text for William

AITON, WILLIAM (b. 1890).

George Watson's College. O.T.C. 1905-9. Student of Arts, 1909-14; M.A. 1912.

O.T.C. Infantry, Oct. 1909 to Jan. 1914, Cadet. Lothians and Border Horse,

Private Aug. 1914; Corporal 1916. 3rd Rifle Brigade, 2nd Lieut. Oct. 1917.

France and Macedonia. Killed in action on 2ist March 1918.

There is also a picture but I'm working on an old laptop at the moment that would take about 3 years to download the whole thing - so I'll leave you to do that at your leisure (or hopefully someone with an original copy will come along!)

Cheers

Sue

From the Watsonian War Record

AITON, William

born in 1890 and attended GWC 1901-1908. he was one of the original members of the Cadet Corps, and on leaving School was for a time Secy. of the Watsonian 1905 Club. He graduated MA in 1912 at Edin Univ., and was an apprentice C.A. when war broke out. Mobilised with the L. and B. Horse, he served in France and Macedonia, and became a L/Cpl. gazetted in Oct. 1917 to the Rifle Bde., he fell in action in France, Mar 21, 1918

His brother also attended GWC

AITON, Adam Charteris

Livingstone Manse, Midcalder; youngest son of the Rev. T. Aiton; 1901-7; farming, emigrated USA 1910; L. and B. H., Tpr., 1914; France and Belgium, 1915-18.

Below is a photo of William Aiton

Regards

Pam

Alf - if you are interested you can (for free) access the original manifest record of Adam passing through Ellis Island in New York at www.ellisisland.org

Lots of personal information and you can also see a picture of the vessel he sailed on - Furnessia of the Anchor Line

Cheers

Sue