Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Workshop Training Battalion 1921

trsp62

Can anyone tell me what units the Tank Workshop Training Battalion comprised of in 1921, and other info about it and its activities?

Can any one confirm that they were based at Bovington camp then?

TimP

Listed in the history as located in Great Britain from March 1920 but no other details shown

Stephen

In this case I'd assume that the name of the unit, Tank Workshop Training Battalion, described exactly what it did--that it was a school unit to which other ranks were assigned for billeting and meals while they were taught how to repair tanks. I doubt that it was a fighting organization. It probably was part of the Tank Corps that was formed from the Heavy Section of the Machine Gun Corps in 1917 and later redesignated as the Royal Tank Corps in 1923. The RTC didn't become the Royal Tank Regiment until 1939.

In this case I'd assume that the name of the unit, Tank Workshop Training Battalion, described exactly what it did--that it was a school unit to which other ranks were assigned for billeting and meals while they were taught how to repair tanks. I doubt that it was a fighting organization. It probably was part of the Tank Corps that was formed from the Heavy Section of the Machine Gun Corps in 1917 and later redesignated as the Royal Tank Corps in 1923. The RTC didn't become the Royal Tank Regiment until 1939.

Thanks.

'Battalion' sounds big in this context. How many tanks were there in total in the army at this date? And anyone know what sort of level of workshop personnel were required to keep one going? One times t'other then gives a clue as to what sort of numbers might be going through such a training organisation. (Interested because my GF was posted to the BTN in 1921, but as MMP so I presume not working on the tanks, but keeping the trainees in order).

Tim

Any answer I could give would be based on speculation on my part. No doubt there are figures on how many tanks the British Army had in its inventory in 1920-21, as well as the number of active tank battalions (and tanks per battalion) then in service. By the 1920s most tanks would most likely have been placed in storage at depots. The forum probably has people who could explain the Tank Corps' procedures for the repair of tanks; a new thread inquiring about the subject on the weapons and equipment forum might draw more of a response than this one.

Any answer I could give would be based on speculation on my part. No doubt there are figures on how many tanks the British Army had in its inventory in 1920-21, as well as the number of active tank battalions (and tanks per battalion) then in service. By the 1920s most tanks would most likely have been placed in storage at depots. The forum probably has people who could explain the Tank Corps' procedures for the repair of tanks; a new thread inquiring about the subject on the weapons and equipment forum might draw more of a response than this one.

Thanks for the suggestion Pete will try that.

TimP