Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Reg) 15th Bn

Lizzie3750

John Brazier Sherriff died 14/10/1918. He is buried at Dadizeele New British Cemetery, Belgium. On his grave stone are the words 'He saved others'. Can anyone help clarify what he did? He was with the Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment) 15th Battalion. His service No. was 72377.

Many thanks,

Liz

Liz

Welcome to the Forum !

The Long Long Trail is at top left of this page,click on it and there are wonderful things to see !

It has this War Diary excerpt for the 15th SF which covers 1917-1918,you might like to read:

http://www.1914-1918.net/Diaries/wardiary-15Notts.htm

Sotonmate

You might also do a London Gazette search as he might have won a gallantry medal for saving others.

Hi Liz,

Welcome to the forum.

This is the medal index card for John and shows that he was with the Royal Flying Corps before the Sherwood Foresters.

Regards. Llew.

SheriffMicMedium.jpg

Many thanks Sotonmate... The information is much appreciated.

Liz

Liz

Welcome to the Forum !

The Long Long Trail is at top left of this page,click on it and there are wonderful things to see !

It has this War Diary excerpt for the 15th SF which covers 1917-1918,you might like to read:

http://www.1914-1918.net/Diaries/wardiary-15Notts.htm

Sotonmate

You might also do a London Gazette search as he might have won a gallantry medal for saving others.

Hi Llew,

Many, many thanks for this. It was really kind of you to take the trouble to find this for me and I'm very grateful.

kind regards,

Liz

Hi Liz,

Welcome to the forum.

This is the medal index card for John and shows that he was with the Royal Flying Corps before the Sherwood Foresters.

Regards. Llew.

SheriffMicMedium.jpg

Liz

It would appear that John B Sherriff had what is commonly referred to as a "split MIC", Victory & British War Medal entitlement listed on one, 1914-15 Star on another. Here's his other card........

Liz, his number in Notts and Derby (72377) suggests that he transfered to the 15th Battn sometime around Feb-April 1917. Quite a few men were being transfered to the 15th Battn then from a number of other regiments.

Mike

Gosh, amazing. many thanks.

Liz

It would appear that John B Sherriff had what is commonly referred to as a "split MIC", Victory & British War Medal entitlement listed on one, 1914-15 Star on another. Here's his other card........

John Brazier Sherriff died 14/10/1918. He is buried at Dadizeele New British Cemetery, Belgium. On his grave stone are the words 'He saved others'. Can anyone help clarify what he did? He was with the Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment) 15th Battalion. His service No. was 72377.

Many thanks,

Liz

War Diary for the 15th Battalion (Bantams) Sherwood Foresters

13TH OCT 1918.

War Diary states that the Battalion was in support at HALDEN HOUSE.

14TH OCT 1918.

Operations on a larger scale were continued. The Battalion assembled East and West of the Vietwegen Road. At zero 05.30 hours the Cheshires advanced with good artillery support. Little opposition was met with and the Battalion passed through the Cheshires at the line of the first objective and continued to advance. Owing to the dense mist directions were extremely difficult to keep. Nearing Cable Copse the resistance was stronger and at dusk we had established ourselves on the line running North East.

Hope this helps you a little. Bronno.

Hi Steve,

I never thought of that... it certainly is a possibility. I don't suppose there would be any way of proving that?

Thanks for the suggestion.

regards, Liz

No Gallantry awards.

Just a thought - He could have been a Stretcher Bearer and that is why his family used the words.

Steve m

Thank you Bronno... It does. When I'm next in Belgium I'll try to get a perspective of where they were in relation to the day he died. Many thanks, Liz

War Diary for the 15th Battalion (Bantams) Sherwood Foresters

13TH OCT 1918.

War Diary states that the Battalion was in support at HALDEN HOUSE.

14TH OCT 1918.

Operations on a larger scale were continued. The Battalion assembled East and West of the Vietwegen Road. At zero 05.30 hours the Cheshires advanced with good artillery support. Little opposition was met with and the Battalion passed through the Cheshires at the line of the first objective and continued to advance. Owing to the dense mist directions were extremely difficult to keep. Nearing Cable Copse the resistance was stronger and at dusk we had established ourselves on the line running North East.

Hope this helps you a little. Bronno.

14th Oct: the advance towards Kortrijk was resumed. Objectives were the rivers Lys (Leie) and Scheldt (Schelde)

from the war diary :

14th Oct ....assembled on the Viet wegen at 3am ...: this must be 'Vijfwegen road' : it is a junction of 5 roads (5 in dutch is vijf). The crossroad is just south of Dadizeele, east of Ypers.

....in dense mist. : all diaries from other battalions fighting in that area mention a very dense mist, some mention that they could only see 2 yards..... the mist is caused by the wet weather during the previous days and the brooks in that area

...Resistance stronger near Cabin Copse : south of Moorseele

15th Oct : ......

16th Oct : ...Withdrawn to billets at Tamil farm : south of Moorsele

John Brazier Sherriff died on the 14th, he must have been killed somewhere East of the road Menen-Roeselare (on old maps you will read Menin - Roulers). The attack started at the front line, being that road. Most likely he will have been killed south of Moorsele.

How do I know this :

I'm doing some research about the liberation of my village Gulleghem (and surrounding villages), which is only a few miles from Tamil Farm, Cabin Corps, Dadizeele

Maybe the text on his grave wasn't complete...

"He saved others..... by giving his live"

Maybe he risked his life during an attack on the enemy, saving the lives of his colleagues.

regards,

BArt

Good evening, it's me again.

I think John and his family were religious and refered to the bible :

....He saved others but can't save himself! He is the king of Israel. Let him come down from the cross now, and we will believe in him.....

regards,

Bart

Liz, his number in Notts and Derby (72377) suggests that he transfered to the 15th Battn sometime around Feb-April 1917. Quite a few men were being transfered to the 15th Battn then from a number of other regiments.

Mike

Bart.D.DPosted Aug 18 2008, 04:19 PM

Hello Bart,

Thank you very much for your help. The family WERE very religious so the quote on his grave would fit perfectly with that! Many thanks for the lateral thinking.

Bart.D.DPosted Aug 18 2008, 04:19 PM

Hello All

To all of you I havent personally replied to, my apologies, I'm having finger trouble with this site.

Many thanks for all your help.

kind regards

Liz