Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Letters Home

Messina1915

Amongst the items I have on my chaps from local newspapers are three letters home written by one of them, Ernest Reynard, early on in the war. The first one is short, but the other two have more to them, especially the second.

The first has no date, but was published in the Harrogate Advertiser on 31 October 1914:

Bombadier E. Reynard, who is in the fighting line, writing home to his relatives at Starbeck the other day says, "Whilst I am writing these lines the guns and rifles are firing all around us; we are right in the thick of it. We have had terrible fighting these last three days all around here, and it seems to me as if it is going to continue. I think the enemy know they are beaten, and they mean to make a strong final effort before a retreat. I am in the best of health."

Hope that some pals will appreciate the letters and I am off to transcribe the other two letters.

Cheers,

Carole.

Here's the second letter, published in the Harrogate Advertiser on 21 November 1914:

The following graphic letter is from Bombadier E. Reynard, of Starbeck, late Meter Inspector for the Harrogate Gas Co.

October 28th, 1914.

Dearest Wife -- At last I am able to write you a few lines to let you know I am still quite well and in good spirits, and sincerely hope you are the same. Well, we have had 12 days of the stiffest fighting that has been known since this war began. We have chaps here with us who have been to Mons and the Aisne, and they say this has been the worst they have seen. As you know, I went through the South African affair, but my word, I have been through more this last 16 days than I did all the South African war. It was simply nothing compared to this: the noise of the guns and the shells bursting is simply awful, but is surprising how soon you get used to it. There is one gun here of the Germans which we have christened Jack Johnson, throwing a shell at us which weighs about 300 or 400lb each. The other day they fired over 500 shells out of this gun, and all they did was simply blow up a village and church which they thought we occupied. But we gained a point there, as there was not a British soldier within 400 yards of the village and the village was deserted all the time. We can hear these big shells coming a long while before they are on top of us or rather past us. We have had a very hard time since we came out here. We have not had our boots off for 16 days, and our horses have not had their saddles off for 12 days now, as we do not know the minute we have to move and we have to snatch a sleep when we can either in the trenches or out. We have been very lucky as regards casualties: we have only lost a few. My word, you talk of British pluck. You should see all the boys here stand and face death with a joke or a smile on their face: it quite makes one feel proud to be an Englishman. I am sorry to say this place is infested with spies. We got eight in one day, and yesterday we shot a dog which was carrying a message. Jack Johnson is just starting again, but, thank Goodness, I am well out of range or else I am afraid you would not get this letter. We had a terrible night attack yesterday, but we repulsed the enemy. I am sure they lost heavily. It comes in very cold at nights out here, and especially when we are in the trenches waiting for the German's night attack, which they make a feature of, but they don't find Tommy Atkins napping. They have tried several on us, but they also get the worst of it. I have seen no Harrogate kids out here yet. I should very much like to come across some of them to talk about the dear old home across the sea. We have not had any news from outside for 10 days, so we don't know how things are going on. The paper you sent me was 12 days old when I got it and I think one or two of your letters as I have not received Nos. 3 and 4. It is a good job I told you to number your letters, as we know how many go astray. Thanks very much for parcel, the contents will come in very useful. I also had one from Mr. and Mrs. Gledhill to-day; I am writing to thank them. I have seen some awful sights since he came out here, which I cannot describe on paper. Nobody at home can realise the destruction and dastardly deeds the Germans are committing out here; it is simply awful. But if I have the luck to get home I shall be able to tell you better than I can write it. I sincerely hope you are keeping well, and all next door too. I think the "Daily Mail" are issuing a weekly paper now. Can you send me one? We seem to long for news from outside, and you have no idea how we scan even an old newspaper. I am sorry to say I have lost my horse. Now I will close this time, as time is precious and duty calls.

Your loving husband,

ERNEST.

P.S. -- Have just received one of your letters and paper. No, the details have not joined us yet. Mr. Sadler in good health, and so am I. Longing to see you all. Terrific fighting going on -- the noise of the guns is deafening -- whilst I am writing this under a hedge.

Hope this conveys something of the early weeks of the war.

Cheers,

Carole.

Here's the final letter, published in the Harrogate Advertiser on 28 November 1914:

The following letter has been received from Bombadier E. Reynard, of Starbeck, addressed to his workmates at the Harrogate Gas Office:-

17th November, 1914.

Dear Chums, -- Thanks very much for kind letter and fags; I appreciate them in the spirit in which they are sent. I am glad to hear you are all keeping well; it is quite a treat to hear from you all. I have often thought of you all at the office. I wrote Cooper a letter, but I don't suppose he has received it yet. Well, I am glad to tell you that so far I am keeping in the best of health and spirits, although I have been in some very warm corners. We have just made a move after being in action 25 days. I wish I could tell you all, but I am not allowed, but glad to say we have given the Germans more than they bargained for. Our division has done splendid work out here, but sorry to say we have lost a lot of men, but not nearly so many as the enemy. Our guns mowed them down in hundreds. It is not fighting, it is slaughter, and still they come on. It cannot go on like this or else there won't be a German left. However, they asked for it, and my word, they are getting it, and hot, too. I have had two or three narrow shaves, but thankful to say so far I am among the lucky ones. It is awful to see some of the pitiful sights which I have seen out here -- towns, villages and farmsteads destroyed by the Germans; men, women and children on the road going they know not where, carrying all their belongings, or rather, what is left of them, on their backs. I am glad to hear that Harrogate is keeping up her reputation as regards helping the poor refugees from this country. I knew the old place at home would respond generously to all appeals for help. Poor things, they need all they can get. It is very cold out here now, and to make things worse we are having a lot of rain just now. I am sorry I cannot say all I should like to, but if I am spared to come home, I will tell you all the news. Will you please remember me to all at the office, and thank those of you who have kindly sent me the cigarettes. Now, Barney, I will close this time, but will write you again soon.

Your sincere Chum,

ERNEST.

I wrote Mr. Wikinson a few days ago. We have got a good bed for to-night on some straw in a barn. The people out here will do anything for us.

Hope some pals have found the letters interesting.

Cheers, Carole.

Hi Marina,

He died during the battle of the Somme - CWGC gives his date of death as 31 August 1916, but his MIC and SDGW say he died of wounds on 1 September - presumably the confusion was caused by him dying overnight.

I've got a newspaper report of his death from the Harrogate Herald of 20 September 1916, which reads as follows:

Information has just been received that Sergeant Ernest Reynard, R.H.A. of 5, Albert Terrace, Starbeck, has been killed in action. He was the son of Mr. W. Reynard, of Bilton Farm, Starbeck, and was 34 years of age, and has had 16 years service. He went through the Boer War, and afterwards went to India for six years. He was a Reservist, and up to war being declared was employed by the Harrogate Gas Co. as a meter inspector. He had been two years at the front. He was greatly respected, and took a prominent interest in the Starbeck Primitive Methodist Chapel, where he held the position of choirmaster. He leaves a widow, but no family.

His unit at the time of his death was "T" Bty., 14th Bde. I think he must have moved units within the RHA while in France as he arrived in theatre before "T" Bty moved from India or Egypt (can't remember which, got the info from LLT).

He is buried at Dantzig Alley British Cemetery.

Cheers,

Carole.

Here's a picture of his grave, courtesy of forum member John (old-ted)

post-33841-1214141570.jpg

And here's the inscription at the bottom of the grave

post-33841-1214141662.jpg

Cheers,

Carole.

Yes, it is a nice epitaph - so many graves have the same few verses, it's nice to see one that is personal and heartfelt.

Cheers,

Carole.