Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt John W Burke Royal Irish Rifles

Sean.

Hi To All,

Looking for a bit of help please on this possible Non Com.

Can any member find any information on 2nd Lt John W Burke, Royal Irish Rifles, his obit states that he was killed in action on the 1st September 1918.

I cant find him on the CWGC site and the only MIC that i can find is for a 2nd Lt John William Burke, RAMC/12th Royal Irish Regiment No 30324, now this could be him but I still cant find him on the CWGC site.

Any help on this one please and thanks as always in advance,

Regards,

Sean

Sean, The MIC on Ancestry cannot be your man, the notes on the card state that an application for war medals was made by Lt J W Burke on the 4th November 1921. No man by that name/and date appears on Officers Died either. Ralph.

Thanks Ralph,

that clears up the possible connection with that MIC.

Regards,

Sean

Sean

Can his obit tell us any more, local paper, regional paper, address, relatives, schools, buried etc. Whatever you have post it up and see what turns up.

Regards, Tommy.

Try many variations on spelling .. as Tommy says .. any more info please

Hi Tommy,

This is the obit as it appeared in the Cork newspaper.

Regards,

Sean

BURKE, JOHN W., 2nd LIEUTENANT, ROYAL IRISH RIFLES – BURKE – (CC 10/9/1918) – September 1, 1918, killed in action, 2nd Lieutenant John W. Burke, Royal Irish Rifles, youngest son of late Dr. Richard Burke, Deputy Inspector-General, Royal Navy. RIP – NOT FOUND CWGC

RIP designation rules out Anglican/Presbyterian records ... Jimmy Taylor ( a member of forumand a real Rifles expert) may be your man ...