Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'DRIVER' Royal Field Artillery

verdun

Dear All,

Firstly, can I begin by taking the opportunity of expressing my sincere and grateful thanks to all the members who have helped me since I joined the Forum in April. Not only is it an amazing website, but I've been so grateful for all the help and support I've received, ranging from photographs and war diairies, to advice and general information. So THANK YOU, one and all!!!

And so on to my next topic... My grandfather was a Driver in 47th Battery RFA (4.5 inch 'snub-nose' Howitzers). My question is two-fold:

1. Was the Driver in charge of the the lead team of horses, or were all three soldiers on the gun team, drivers?

2. What did the Driver do when the gun was in action? Did he help pass up ammunition, or did at least one of them tend the horses?

Many thanks again, Peter

Thanks, Guys! This answers the first question, but what would the Driver be doing when the gun was in action? Did he have a specific role with the gunners, or did he stay with the team of horses, or would it depend on how long the battery expected to be in situ?

I think although the driver would have had responsibility for the team of horses, all gun team memebers would have had to work with horses at some time, and possibly taken over the role of driver if the driver was killed or wouunded. My grandfather was a RFA Gunner and in his testimonial from 1919 when he left the army his Major states 'He was very good with horses'. This being a commercial skill at the time as well.

Gunner Bailey

The link in spyinthesky's post says drivers rode the offside horses. I believe that to be wrong, and they rode the nearside horses, which would be the normal side for mounting-up. Nearside means the left horses looking from the rear. I could be wrong, but don't think I am....

Just watched a video clip of the King's Troop RHA and nearside it is.

I agree- nearside horses.

That's the off-side in France?

Gunner Bailey

Yes agree near side, three drivers on a 18 Pdr Gun team Wheel Pair Driver, Centre Pair Driver and Lead Pair Driver. The leg Iron was worn on the right leg see picture.

post-1365-1213880504.jpg