Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Orange Order Memorial' Ulster Tower Thiepval

eviltaxman

I've been asked (indirectly on another forum) about the Orange Order Memorial at Thiepval. This is the text.... can anyone shed any light on it please?

Ta,

Les

"At the back of the Ulster Tower in Thiepval you can find the 'Orange Order Memorial'. However, on a recent photo in Michael Stedman's book 'Thiepval-'Somme' I saw that this memorial was always placed at the entrance of the Ulster Tower. But why and when was this memorial replaced, and what is the influence of the protestants and catholics in this decision ?"

dsc02289_384_x_512_209.jpg

Les,

the memorial was moved from near the gate to it's current location. I'm not sure of the date or reason but will be at the Tower tomorow and will find out for you.

Regards

John

Far as I know the decision was down to health and safety? Someone nearly crashed into it or something like that. While I have no prob with the monument (plenty of the Order's members served and died) I do think it is a 'orrible looking thing and is now better placed.

It used to be situated at the front but outside the confines of the tower. Having been damaged by a drunken driver one night it was moved to its current location.

I'm with you Des on this, although I think I have seen less attractive memorials. Plenty of men from both sides of the Great Divide served. The Province can be rightly proud of them. Curious that the original inquirer should suspect a religious reason. I believe this move was mentioned a good while ago here on forum. I did have a quick look but can't find it.

It certainly isn't worse than the monstrosity in Sheffield Park.

Mick

Surely you can't mean the piper thingy! :P

Don't get me started on that one. :huh:

The half built brick wall!

Curious that the original inquirer should suspect a religious reason. I believe this move was mentioned a good while ago here on forum. I did have a quick look but can't find it.

Tom,

The original inquirer is "not of these shores" ;) and I think the Catholic/Protestant history is foreign to them.

I thought it had also been mentioned previously but I couldn't find it either.

Les

Mick,

you were spot on. A car driven under the influence crashed into the memorial. It was positioned on the apex of a bend just outside of the tower grounds. You can still see the concrete base where it stood. Teddy was not sure when it was moved but did say it was before he and Phoebe took over the tower. There was no religeous influence involved.

Regards

John

• 3 weeks later...