Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Watch 1st Battalion War Diary 1915.

nicolaiona

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum but I would like to bring gifts! I have just bought a war diary from the National Archives and would love to share it with the forum. It is from the 1st Battalion, Black Watch, 1915, ref: WO/95/1263.

I have been researching my Great Grandfather who served with the Black Watch 1st Battalion. His name was David Goldie and he was killed in action on the 16th June 1915. Unfortunatey I cannot upload the diaries as they are too large. However I can compress it and email it to someone if they could upload it for me you are welcome to have it.

I am currently collecting as much information as I can about my Great Grandfather so that I can build a website dedicated to him and those who fell with him in the Great War. I would appreciate any info about the regiment anyone has, particulrly photos, details of particular battles etc.

One other request! Does anyone know where I would begin searching for his war medals? I know its a long shot but I really would like to at least try and have a go at tracing them! He recived the 1914 Star, The Victory Medal and The British War Medal.

Thank you!

Hi Nicola, welcome to the forum, everyone is welcome here, especially when they come bearing gifts like this. I'd love a copy of the diary, but rather than trying to upload it onto the forum perhaps you could donate a copy to the mother site where parts of other unit war diaries are held. You can use the 'search' facility (top right) to search the forum for medal related threads Good luck

cheers, Jon (email: tomfoolery42@hotmail.com)

Hi Nicola, welcome to the forum, everyone is welcome here, especially when they come bearing gifts like this. I'd love a copy of the diary, but rather than trying to upload it onto the forum perhaps you could donate a copy to the mother site where parts of other unit war diaries are held. You can use the 'search' facility (top right) to search the forum for medal related threads Good luck

cheers, Jon (email: tomfoolery42@hotmail.com)

Hi Jon, I will gladly donate a copy but how do I donate a copy to the mother site and what is the "Mother Site"? Thank you!

The long long trail is the mother site, the link will take you to a selection of unit war diaries already on the site. Maybe by contacting the moderating team or the site owner/administrator (although I believe that Chris Baker has taken a back seat recently). You can email the diaries to me and I could have a go on you behalf, my address can be found in the above post. I do have a little interest in the 1st Bn, one of our local memorials had a chap who served with them up to his death in 1917 and the war diary would be a great help once I get further down the list of names,

cheers, Jon

Nicolaiona,

First of all can I welcome you to the Forum and I hope that you get as much out of it as I have. You will find a great source of information here about the Black Watch. If you have a look at the Forum Pals section in "The Tay Valley" thread you will see several contibutors who have a great knowledge of this Famous old Regiment including Black Jock who besides being a BW veteran also helps at the regiment museum in Perth. Some of these were of great help to me when I was trying to research my great Uncle who was also a regular soldier in the Black Watch. You will see in my signature a link to a thread which shows pictures from my great uncle's photo album, mainly from Aldershot in 1914 prior to the start of the war. This may be of interest to you and I in turn would be anxious to know if you can spot your great grandfather (slight chance I know) amongst them as to date I've only been able to identify two besides my Great Uncle.

Anyway once again welcome to the forum

regards

Ian

Nicolaiona,

First of all can I welcome you to the Forum and I hope that you get as much out of it as I have. You will find a great source of information here about the Black Watch. If you have a look at the Forum Pals section in "The Tay Valley" thread you will see several contibutors who have a great knowledge of this Famous old Regiment including Black Jock who besides being a BW veteran also helps at the regiment museum in Perth. Some of these were of great help to me when I was trying to research my great Uncle who was also a regular soldier in the Black Watch. You will see in my signature a link to a thread which shows pictures from my great uncle's photo album, mainly from Aldershot in 1914 prior to the start of the war. This may be of interest to you and I in turn would be anxious to know if you can spot your great grandfather (slight chance I know) amongst them as to date I've only been able to identify two besides my Great Uncle.

Anyway once again welcome to the forum

regards

Ian

Ian,

I have just read the thread you mentioned in your signature! - it's probably took me the best part of two hours going back and forth through all the information and links to the sites etc. What an amazing and exciting thread - I absolutely loved all the photographs and think, THINK! I may have found my Great Grandfather - I have a very small damaged image from the local newspaper that reported his death and there are definately similarities! I'm not sure if its wishful thinking - I am desparate to get a photo and so much want it to be!

But! I think he is in phoro number 45, second from the left, on the second row with both his hands resting on the sholders of the man sitting in front of him.

The reason I looked twice at him is because he is the absolute spitting image of my grandfather! (papa) Who, incidently served in the Second World as a Sergeant in the Black Watch within the SAS. When I look at him I can see my grandfather! - my Great Grandfathers son - he too was called David Goldie. I have taken a straw poll in our house and my other half and my youngest son think it is him too - I will have to ask my mother when she next visits from bonnie Scotland.

Thank you so much for pointing this thread out to me - I have also downloaded the book: The Black Watch a Record in Action by Scout Joe Cassells. I will print it off and have a good read when I get a minute. I will also have a look at the other threads and places you have mentioned too. So many threads so little time! Each time I read a little bit more or learn a little bit more it just seems to raise more questions!

Thank you for taking the time to reply and thanks to all the forum members for such a warm welcome.

Kind regards - Nicola

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum but I would like to bring gifts! I have just bought a war diary from the National Archives and would love to share it with the forum. It is from the 1st Battalion, Black Watch, 1915, ref: WO/95/1263.

I have been researching my Great Grandfather who served with the Black Watch 1st Battalion. His name was David Goldie and he was killed in action on the 16th June 1915. Unfortunatey I cannot upload the diaries as they are too large. However I can compress it and email it to someone if they could upload it for me you are welcome to have it.

Hi Nicola - I'm new to the forum too, only joined a week or 2 ago - also researching the Black Watch, but my soldier was, I believe, in the 9th Battalion - well that's the one he's listed as dying in.

How much did it cost to buy from the Nat. Archives site? Do you email them with the details of the diary you want? I see they do have one for the Black Watch 9th Royal Highlanders.... Is this a substantial document - wondered how big it was since you couldn't upload it...

Good luck finding the medals you're after, Kathryn :)

Hi Kathryn

Who are you researching from the 9th Black Watch ? can you post his Name and Number?

Gary.F.

Hi Kathryn

Who are you researching from the 9th Black Watch ? can you post his Name and Number?

Gary.F.

Hi Gary - you were very helpful when I started my own topic on Robert McKenzie of the 9th Black Watch/Royal Highlanders a couple of weeks ago. I just wondered if this new forum member could tell me a bit more about obtaining the war diaries from the Nat.Archives.

I've also found a wonderful older thread about Tom Wilkie, Black Watch - with some amazing photos - I was hoping to track down some of the contributors to that post such as Tom McCluskey and Ian Robertson - but I don't think I can do that until I've advanced through the ranks a bit!!

Thanks for taking the time to ask Gary, Kathryn :P

Kathryn

the war diary that you're seeking is held t the NA in WO 95/1937. You can order the specific month/pages from the diary at a base cost of £8.50 for 10 pages which usually works out around a months worth of diary, they are however free to view if you can make it to Kew in person

cheers, Jon

Hi Kathryn

I`ll ask Tom or Ian or any of the other lads if they can help with your man Robert Mckenzie of the 9th.What was his Number?

Gary

Hi Kathryn

I`ll ask Tom or Ian or any of the other lads if they can help with your man Robert Mckenzie of the 9th.What was his Number?

Gary

Thank you Gary, his details are:

Lance Corporal Robert McKenzie, and his number is either 3/2944 or also listed at times as S/2944.

Born in Buckhaven, Fife. Died on 25/09/1915. Mentioned on the panels at Loos.

Thanks for your input Gary - I think since I've now posted over 10 times I can do a bit more on the forum. Thanks for help contacting the other members, Kathryn :)

Kathryn

the war diary that you're seeking is held t the NA in WO 95/1937. You can order the specific month/pages from the diary at a base cost of £8.50 for 10 pages which usually works out around a months worth of diary, they are however free to view if you can make it to Kew in person

cheers, Jon

Thanks for the info Jon - I'm interested in reading September's diary as his date of death was 25/09/1915 - so hopefully the 10 pages will cover this. Cheers, Kathryn :D

Hi Nicola

I can give you a copy of a photo I have of his grave if you need it.

Kind regards

Fred