Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit ID & Dating Help Please

shippingsteel

Would someone be able to assist with the identification of this group please. Regiment, battalion and an estimate of date would be appreciated.

This photo has been copied across from this thread linked HERE (Shows an interesting combination of the WE in use with the Lee Metford rifle)

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-38103100-1372073297_thumb.j

I can probably help you with the unit id, but for dating help you need www.match.com :-)

Looks like Berkshire Regiment, probably in England around 1914. Uniforms, equipment and rifles all point to pre-war or very close to the outbreak. Interestingly the chap in the middle (behind the dog) appears to be wearing his pouches the wrong way around.

Regards, Kritha

• Admin

I'm going to say Royal Berks, no idea about date or Batallion.

Michelle

Kritha, and a three striper too! He seems to have more pouches than anyone else and extra load on left shoulder. Penalty of rank?

post-40034-0-01251700-1372082064_thumb.j

Definitely Royal Berkshire: the Major has the rope coil officers' badge which commemorated sea service (Glorious 1st of June?) by the 49th.

Can you close-up on the officer's collar? If he has a T that would indicate a TF battalion or not.

Thanks for all the input - it is most appreciated. And I just knew the phrase "dating help" would provide a chuckle to someone ... there's always one in the room.! :lol:

I think it could be starting to look more like an early wartime training unit, with the usage of the older 'reserve' rifles, with all the SMLE service rifles in frontline use.

Here is a closeup from the other linked thread, which shows the LH side Corporal at the front of the firing-line. You can clearly see the shape of the shoulder title.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-57870500-1372114951_thumb.j

Just noticed the blanket worn on the back. No pack so carrying it 1903 style? Also is it not unusual to see infantry using the chinstrap? Might need to add Royal Berkshire to the thread title to get it noticed. Regards, Paul.

I was wondering about the Sergeant wearing the Cartridge Carriers incorrectly and thought he may have transferred across from another branch for training.?

Cheers, S>S

Martin Mcintyre 'Mac' on the forum probably a good person to ask- he has written a book on the Bekshires. I think he has connections at The Wardrobe and the Thames Valley WFA. I live in the county so interested in the Regiment myself, not just dogs! Regards, Paul.

I was wondering about the Sergeant wearing the Cartridge Carriers incorrectly and thought he may have transferred across from another branch for training.?

It's not uncommon to see the pouches reversed by people who have been shooting in the prone position, since with full pouches it helps position more of the ammunition round the sides of the chest/under the arms instead of on the front of the chest, where it can be in the way. Still a bit odd in this case, since everyones pouches are clearly empty...

A date of c.1910 was mentioned in the other thread - the photo cannot be earlier than 1912, given the officer is wearing the open collar version of the cuff rank jacket, rather than the closed collar version in use prior to this date.

Thanks Andrew, that's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. I never underestimate the knowledge on this forum, so thank you for adding your little piece of the puzzle.

I initially said around 1910 due to the pattern of cartridge carriers that were in use, but again that is not really my area, so happy to get some help. It's an interesting photo.

Cheers, S>S

• spof unlocked this topic