Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/2 & 2/3 London Field Ambulance

RobertBr

Does anyone know the location (preferably trench map co-ordinates) of these units at the start of the Mars Offensive on 28th March 1918.

I already know that the 2/1 were based at St Catherines on the outskirts of Arras.

Thanks

Bob

I have the relevant war diary excerpts and also the ADMS 56th Division. I'll try and make them into email[able] documents (currently photos) and send them on.

Regards

Ali

In the war diary of the ADMS 56th Division there is a routine order (no 548) dated 6th December 1917. This may obviously have been amended prior to March 1918 but until I've transcribed the lot I hope this helps.

A * by a character means the image wasn't 100% clear.

It lists the following aid posts etc:

"Left & Central Brigades

RAPs- B 12 a 4.5; B 18 a* 9.7; B 24 a 7.8; B 30 a 7.3*

ADS (CUTTING) B 27 a 4.8 [changed to B 27 a 5.6 in early March]

MDS (St CATHERINE) G 13 a 4.4

Evacuation is:

a) Via TOMMY ALLEY to point on the BAILLEUL- SUGAR FACTORY road at B 16 c. 0.9, thence on road and track alongside Light Railway to the ADS.

B) Via OUSE ALLEY to Road as above at B 16 c 05.25, thence by Light Railway track to the ADS. From ADS by hand carry to DAYLIGHT ROADHEAD and thence by ambulance car to MDS at ST CATHERINE, or by light railway from the ADS to MDS at ST CATHERINE.

Right Brigade

RAPs- B 30 a 4.2; B 30 c 6.1;

ADS (GUNPITS) H 4 c 5.4 [became Relay post in early March]

MDS (St CATHERINE) G 13 a 4.4

Evacuation is:

Via THAMES ALLEY and TOWY ALLEY to point on GAVRELLE Road at B 29 c 8.1, thence by wheeled stretcher to the ADS or when necessity arise by trench to point on road at H 4 b 2.2, thence to ADS. From ADS by hand carry to DAYLIGHT ROADHEAD which is also RAILHEAD, thence by ambulance car or light railway to MDS."

By March 1918 ADSs where at the following:

TUNNEL DUMP B 15 c 5.1

POINT DU JOUR H 9 a 5.9

I have an after action report from the ADMS on the 28th March- too follow.

Regards

Ali

I have no idea why that poxy face has appeared- sorry.

Ali

Still a work in progress so apologies in advance:

NA reference:WO 95/2938

"March 28th, 1918

About 4am, the enemy opened a heavy bombardment on our front and rear defences- the front line system, the RED line, the summit of the ridge, BAILLEUL, and all roads as far back as the ARRAS-BAILLEUL road were heavily barraged. The RAILWAY CUTTING received particular attention, also the area around MAISON de la COTE, both with HE and Gas shells. CHANTECLER Advanced Dressing Station was bombarded with 4.8” [R.V] shells but no material damage was caused.

About 7am the enemy launched an infantry attack in overwhelming strength, the attack being from OPPY southwards. Our troops in front line were, from left to right, 4th Bn London Regiment, 16th Bn London Regiment (QWR) and 5th Bn London Regiment (LRB) These troops put up a most tenacious defence, but after some three hours fierce hand to hand fighting they were ordered to fall back on the RED line. The Battalion Headquarters with the remnants of the Battalions accomplished this, but in each case the Medical Officer with his staff and attached RAMC bearers, were taken prisoners in their Aid Posts. It appears as if the Battalions failed to keep sufficiently in touch with their Medical Officers.

Further attacks were launched on the RED line during the day, the last being completely repulsed about 5.30 pm.

After about 8 am, a continuous barrage of heavy shrapnel only was maintained on the roads, only an occasional HE shell falling near the ARRAS-BAILLEUL road.

About 10.30 am, the DADMS, proceeded to CHANTECLER ADS and found all working smoothly and evacuation along the ARRAS road to ST CATHERINE proceeding normally in spite of the heavy shrapnel barrage. This shrapnel did not appear to be doing any particular harm. Walking wounded were then reaching CHANTECLER ADS via TOWY TRACK.

In the meantime the ADMS, had established his office, under orders of Division, at AGNIERES. He has visited ST CATHERINE Main Dressing Station and was rejoined at Advanced Divisional Headquarters by DADMS. The DADMS, remained at ST CATHERINE MDS as advanced report centre, whilst the ADMS, returned to his office and got into touch with the DDMS Corps. He arranged for 10 lorries for walking wounded to report to Main Dressing Station, with 6 extra MAC cars. 40 extra bearers were also sent up to OC bearers at CHANTECLER.

About 6 pm, ADMS visited Main Dressing Station ST CATHERINE and found evacuation proceeding satisfactorily. Steps were taken to replace casualties in Regiments and increase staff at MDS, by employing Medical Officers of Divisional Ammunition Column, Divl. Royal Engineers, and one Artillery Brigade. Extra bearers were sent to TUNNEL DUMP and to CHANTECLER about 8 pm.

The shelling of the RAILWAY CUTTING was so heavy and continuous that it was found impossible to get cases away from the CUTTING ADS. This state of things continued until about 5 pm, when fire slackened and the CUTTING was evacuated by hand carriage to CHANTECLER ADS- the railway line being broken in several places. During the preliminary bombardment, Mustard Oil Gas was used in CUTTING, but later the gas seemed to have been of some less noxious variety.

The ARRAS- GAVRELLE road was heavily barraged during the preliminary bombardment, but during the morning this slackened and cars evacuating POIN DU JOUR Advanced Dressing Station were able to proceed to and from ST CATHERINE MDS via ST NICHOLAS during the remainder of the day, in spite of the shrapnel barrage maintained.

The alternative route of evacuation by the POINT DU JOUR- CHANTECLER plank road became impracticable owing to the destruction of the road by shell fire.

At 1.20 pm, Major WALLACE MC was killed by a shell at POINT DU JOUR ADS and Lieut. HALL carried on alone until joined by the Medical officer of the 2nd Bn London Regiment. In the evening Major FERGUSSON went to POINT DU JOUR to take Major WALLACE’s place, and Lieut. HALL proceeded to the 16th Bn London Regiment (QWR) to replace Lieut, RHETT (MORC) missing.

By the evening the fight was over and the shelling had died down. During the night all Advanced Dressing Stations were rapidly cleared, and the wounded from Heavy Artillery positions around MAISON de le COTE got away. The area round ST CATHERINE Main Dressing Station was heavily bombarded by 9.2” [H.V] shells, but the building did not receive a direct hit, although splinters and debris often fell in the court-yard, and no casualties occurred here. The cross roads near the church at ANZIN also received several direct hits, but this did not interfere with the evacuation to Casualty Clearing Station by Motor Ambulance Convoy cars.

During the whole day and the following night, touch was maintained between the DADMS at ST CATHERINE MDS and the ADMS at AGNIERIES, by means of messages sent by cyclist or by returning ambulance cars.

TUNNEL DUMP ADS kept in touch with the ADMS direct by wires sent through the Headquarters 168th Infantry Brigade, and the other ADSs by means of messages sent through the DADMS at ST CATHERINE.

Casualties sustained by Medical Services during the day were:

Officers 1 killed Other ranks 1 killed

3 missing 3 wounded

20 missing

Casaulties passed through ST CATHERINE MDS were:

56th Division: Officers 9 Gassed: Officers 1

Other ranks. 247 Other ranks. 56

Other divisions Officers 6 Gassed

and formations Other ranks 131 Other ranks 17

Canadian Field Ambulance passed though 116 cases (other ranks) of 56th Division.

The Regimental Aid Posts should not be so far forward in defence as in offence, and should as far as possible be placed in a communication trench, this means easy evacuation of wounded, and when taken to Regimental Aid Post are on the road back. I am convinced that many cases could have been got back if they had been so placed, also Medical Officers and personnel would not have been lost.

In a defensive action, routes of evacuation should be numerous and cross roads, cutting s, railways and dumps should be avoided.

Tracks for wheeled stretchers and carrying should be marked out and well known.

It has been frequently observed that walking wounded come back by the same route they marched up by. If it is desired that they come back by any other route, the points of diversion should be clearly marked by sign posts. The sign boards at these positions should be large and placed low down, painted green, with the lettering in red or white."

I have no idea why that poxy face has appeared- sorry.

Ali

Ali

I think it is a fault in the system whereby an emoticon shares similar file characters with b/B+). When you insert B) or B) you sometimes get a surprise.

I wonder what the Bill of Rights would have looked like using this board?

Ali

Thanks for the two posts. They have a particular relevance for me as my Grandfather was one of the wounded.

However I have a problem with your statement regarding the Left and Centre Bigades evacuation routes "Via TOWY ALLEY to point on the BAILLEUL- SUGAR FACTORY road" Towy Alley is at the southern end of the right Brigades area. I believe this should be Tommy Alley as it runs form the front line to the Sugar Post road and links with Ouse Alley.

You probably know this already but by the 28th the 56th front was held by just two brigades and actually on that day the front was extended 1500yds north.

I am planning a series of posts about Mars.

Bob

Hi Bob,

You are absolutley right it should read TOMMY.

Next time I get to the National Archives I'll look up the war diaries for January and February 1918 which should fill in a bit more detail.

I look forward too your posts, as we've previously discussed I'm interested in this action.

Regards

Ali