Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Fusiliers Shoulder Titles

Tyneside Chinaman

Hi

My very good friend Graham Stewart bought the attached "Northumberland Fusiliers" card on ebay but when it arrived it is obviousley Royal Fusilers so Graham gave it to me for my collection.

The group appear to be wearing different cloth shoulder titles.

The man at the rear has a dak title with darker letters pos Red on Green?

Whilst the man kneeling at the left has a light coloured title with dark letters.

The second man seated on the left appears to have something below the title.

Are they 1 a company indicator or 2 different battalions?

There is no indication of where the photo was taken any ideas? 60th Div at Sutton Veny?

Any help greatly received

regards

John

post-27843-1204298657.jpg

post-27843-1204298670.jpg

post-27843-1204298679.jpg

post-27843-1204298706.jpg

Hi

got your PM re Graham will speak to him tonight. I agree tha GG is a possibility but the GG titles are white letters on red with square ends to the title as per the attached Grenadier

John

post-27843-1204300992.jpg

The only problem I have with the GG theory is that I have never seen the Guards wearing leather equipment.

I'm sure someone will now post one but have a look at the rest of the group in close up

John

post-27843-1204301903.jpg

post-27843-1204301913.jpg

post-27843-1204301922.jpg

John hello

I dont think they are HAC look at the attached from Kipling and King there grenade is similar to the Grenadiers but with HAC added

John

post-27843-1204303669.jpg

The last lot of photos has swayed me back to RF ..... the gap-toothed guy has the distinctive pointy bit on the top [no, not on top of his head!] .... I think the top of the badge in some cases is obscured by the cap.

Sorry

I've been away, no no replies re the titles I am sure they are RF but its the titles I would like to know more about.

The London Regiment seem to have had a scheme of titles of various colours.

Ray Westlake and Mike Chappell's Territorial Units 14 /18 shows two on Plate F. But nothing about the scheme as whole.

regards

John

I think they may be men from London TF and/ or reserve battalions. These Bns had quite a varied range of cloth title shape, colour and format.

I've emboldened one possibility:

1st Bn London Regt (RF): Red letters on white - 1st LONDON RF (arc shape);

1st Reserve Bn London Regt: White letters on khaki - 1st (RES) LONDON/ RF (in a T shape);

2nd Bn London Regt (RF) - A: Red letters on dark blue - 2nd LONDON REGT(no idea as to shape);

2nd Bn London Regt (RF) - B: Red letters on dark blue - 2nd LONDON REGT/RF (T shape);

3rd Bn London Regt (RF) - A: Red letters on khaki - 3rd LONDON (arc);

3rd Bn London Regt (RF) - B: Red letters on khaki - 3rd LONDON/RF (T shape);

3rd Reserve Bn London Regt - A: White letters on red - 3rd (RES) LONDON (arc).

3rd Reserve Bn London Regt - B: Red letters on khaki - 3rd (RES) LONDON (arc).

This is largely from Waring's Identification Pamphlet No. 2, which is not complete so there may be other variations.

Here are some examples on eBay at the moment.

Cloth London Titles...

You'll note that those for the 1st Bn don't coincide with Waring, reinforcing with 'more variations' thought.

Best wishes,

GT.

Grovetown

many thanks I think youve cracked it, I am now certain that they are men of 1st and 2nd London Regiment

Thanks

John