Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guardsman Wilfred TAYLOR, 2 Coy 3 Bn Grenadier Guards

MBrockway

Pals,

Wilfred TAYLOR is another of the eight men on the Over Peover village War Memorial in Cheshire - see ...

Rfn Ernest Groves R7559 1/KRRC d. Loos 29 Sep 1916, & others commemorated on Over Peover War Memorial, Cheshire

I'm trying to get the basic information in time for Remembrance Day and would appreciate some help with Wilfred TAYLOR.

Here's the info from CWGC:

Private WILFRED TAYLOR,

2nd Coy. 3rd Bn., Grenadier Guards

Service No: 26832

Date of Death: 08/09/1917, aged 19

Only son of James and Mary Emily Taylor, of Over Peover, Knutsford, Cheshire.

Cemetery: DOZINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY, section VI. A. 8.

From my initial research, it looks like Wilfred is the only Over Peover man to fall at Passchendaele, but to lose your only son at aged 19 must have been devastating to James and Mary.

Here's his CWGC entry and here's his MIC entry.

Cheers,

Mark

PS Would normally have waited till I'd got further before asking for more help, but I saw another Grenadier Guards topic had been started this afternoon. :rolleyes:

Mark

Not much on SDGW

No birth or residence given

enlisted - Knutsford

Died of Wounds

Glyn

Mark,

I don't think your man fell at Passchendaele. On 4th September the 3rd battalion moved to Eton Camp, close to the railway, and were subject to aerial bombing attacks. Ponsonby's history says that no less than 40 casualties resulted from this.

Ian

Mark,

I don't think your man fell at Passchendaele. On 4th September the 3rd battalion moved to Eton Camp, close to the railway, and were subject to aerial bombing attacks. Ponsonby's history says that no less than 40 casualties resulted from this.

Ian

As recorded elsewhere Ian - this is fascinating. Greatly appreciate your inputs into unravelling these 8 men.

Apologies for not acknowledging this sooner - wanted to get up and running with the remaining men and I am not able to get on to GWF every day.

If I can help with any KRRC details you need, I'd be very glad to return the favour.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

Apart from the above, I can only add that Taylor would probably have enlisted sometime in the first half of August 1916.

Best wishes

Ed

Mark,

Apart from the above, I can only add that Taylor would probably have enlisted sometime in the first half of August 1916.

Best wishes

Ed

Many thanks Ed - that's useful extra detail.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

Is this man on the Over Peover Memorial ?

From SDGW

Pte 48842 Albert Mottershead

Royal Wesh Fusiliers 8th Bn

KIA 18-01-17 Mesopotamia

Born Over Peover

Enlisted Wilmslow

Wull

Mark

Is this man on the Over Peover Memorial ?

From SDGW

Pte 48842 Albert Mottershead

Royal Wesh Fusiliers 8th Bn

KIA 18-01-17 Mesopotamia

Born Over Peover

Enlisted Wilmslow

Wull

Wull,

No, strange to say, but he isn't.

However, I notice CWGC has ...

Private ALBERT A. MOTTERSHEAD

48842, 8th Bn., Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Died: 18/01/1917, aged 33

Son of the late Joseph and Sarah Mottershead; husband of Florence Mottershead, of 21, South St., Alderley Edge, Manchester

BASRA MEMORIAL, Panel 15

Alderley Edge is only about 5 miles from Over Peover, but perhaps far enough away for Albert to no longer be regarded as son of the village.

He was in the same RWF battalion as George GROVES, who is on the memorial:

Private George GROVES

39296, 8th Bn., Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Died: 22/12/1917, aged 37 years

Son of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Groves, of Over Peover, Knutsford, Cheshire.

BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) WAR CEMETERY; IV. J. 8.

They must have known each other.

Here's a link to the close up to the inscriptions which I posted last night in my original Over Peover topic:

Over Peover village War Memorial - detail

Also, on a similar theme, Gwyn ('Dragon') has just sent me a Roll of Honour from Over Peover Methodist Church, which includes yet more men associated with the village who fell in the Great War. It includes three of the men on the memorial, but lists the following additional men who are not:

Arthur Boon

Levi Jervis

Willian Mee

Charles Parrott

Donald Pilkington

I only got these this afternoon, so I have not really started checking them out, but at least one of these men traces back to the near vicinity using CWGC look-ups.

Puzzling.

Please let me know if you find any other Over Peover men in SGDW.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

Re your last 5 names

No D Pilkington on SDGW, but 3 Arthur Boon's born,Marple, Bredbury, Cleethorpes,

Levi Jarvis born,Blackden

5Charles Parrott Born, Islington,Goostrey, Aspley Guise, Bedford x2

All the best

Wull

Mark

Re your last 5 names

No D Pilkington on SDGW, but 3 Arthur Boon's born,Marple, Bredbury, Cleethorpes,

Levi Jarvis born,Blackden

5Charles Parrott Born, Islington,Goostrey, Aspley Guise, Bedford x2

All the best

Wull

Wull - this is very useful indeed!

Here are the distances from Over Peover:

Marple - 18 miles

Bredbury - 18 miles (and very close to Marple)

Blackden Heath - 2 miles!!

Goostrey - 3 miles

I've ruled out Islington, Cleethorpes, Aspley Guise (nr Milton Keynes) and Bedford as unlikely due to the distance.

I think Blackden may even be in Peover Superior parish.

CWGC has an Arthur Boon as being of Siddington, Chelford - about 5 miles from Over Peover - so I guess he's likely to be one of the two that are in SDGW in the Marple/Stockport area.

I've been struggling with "D Pilkington" too, but I have found a Robert Donald Sale Pilkington of Stockport in CWGC - could be a candidate!

Cheers,

Mark

Sorry Wull - I should have included his Regiment and Service Number - that might have saved you some time. :blush:

This is definitely the same man, and Crewe is reasonably near too, so he remains a strong candidate for the soldier on the Methodist Roll of Honour.

Thanks for the help!

Aye,

Mark

Mark,

Best wishes

Ed

Ed,

That would fit well with him turning 18 years old.

Cheers,

Mark