Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Fred Edge EDWARDS, 10th Btn Cheshire, d. 17 Jul 1916

MBrockway

Pals,

Fred Edge EDWARDS is another of my men on the Over Peover village War Memorial in Cheshire - see ...

Rfn Ernest Groves R7559 1/KRRC d. Loos 29 Sep 1916, & others commemorated on Over Peover War Memorial, Cheshire

I'm trying to get the basic information on all eight men on the memorial in time for Remembrance Day and would appreciate some help with Fred EDWARDS.

Here's the info from CWGC:

Private Fred Edge EDWARDS,

Regiment: 10th Bn., Cheshire Regiment

Service No: 21575 [this could be a transcription error - see below]

Date of Death: 17/07/1916, aged 23

Additional information: Son of John and Jane Edwards, of Long Lane, Over Peover, Cheshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: PUCHEVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY, Section I. E. 9

10/Cheshires were in 7th Brigade in 25th Division. It seems 10/Cheshires were conducting "small scale operations" :mellow: around OVILLERS, to the NE of ALBERT, as part of the second phase of The Somme battles, until relieved by units of the 48th (South Midland) Division on the night of 16th/17th July 1916. They then moved to BEAUVAL. Puchevillers Cemetery received burials from 3 and 4 CCS and is about 4 miles SE of BEAUVAL.

Whether Fred was killed by shellfire (or other) while the battalion was moving back from the line, or whether he died of wounds sustained from the fierce fighting in the fortnight before is as yet unclear.

I'm hoping SDGW or the 10/Cheshire's War Diary might throw some light on this. Can anyone do a SDGW and/or War Diary look-up on Fred Edge EDWARDS?

Here's his CWGC Entry and here's his MIC entry.

Sharp-eyed Pals may notice that the MIC entry has Fred's service number as 24575 whereas CGWC has it as 21575. Clearly there's a transcription error here somewhere but as to which is the correct one, that'll only emerge with deeper research. :wacko:

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

Died of Wounds

Born Marbury

Enlisted Knutsford

No residence given

SDGW gives his number as 24575

Glyn