Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Supernumerary Companies

mikebriggs

I am hoping that someone on GWF can suppy the answer :blink:

Here is my conundrum:-

It would appear that the Notts and Derby Regt (Sherwood Foresters) were using some kind of special numbering system to move men between the 4 different Territorial Battalions.

Some men originally had the 4-digit number, they were then given a 20*** number and then the 1917 6-digit number (if they still around by then). The 20*** numbers follow the 6-digit number order

For example:-

Lokes 344 to 20011 to 242604

Moxon 2540 to 20012 to 242605

Offord 1868 to 20014 to 242606

Parker 3126 to 20015 to 242607

R'son 2923 to 20016 to 242608

You will see that the 4-digit numbers are not in sync with the 6-digit numbers, which is not how the Notts & Derbt TF did things. So my thought was that this was some sort of clearing system for moving men around the different TF Battalion (perhaps some were wounded etc). The men are also in alphabetical order.

So I was looking through the Pension Records and found an example of this happening

post-4619-1173996901.jpg

As you can see Pte Bingham enlisted and was given the 3617 number at TF Depot (Chesterfield)

He then transfered to the 2/7th Battn Supernumerary Company (?) and given then number 20025 (I think)

There is a reference to the 3 Super Coy or Supery Coy (?)

He then transfered to 8th Battn and given number 20588 or 20367

The 5738 number is for RDC.

Confused :rolleyes: I am :unsure:

cheers

Mike

Mike,

They were National Reservists who were formed into Supernumary Companies of local Territorial Force Battalions and they were generally of an age where they were fit for Home Service only. Their role seems to have been guarding vunerable points allowing younger, fitter T.F. men to carry on with vital training before proceeding overseas. These Supernumary Companies later went onto form the Royal Defence Corps(ACI 841 of 19th April 1916.

There was also a stage whereby T.F. men were being asked to transfer across to regular Reserve Battalions due to shortages, but because they were T.F. men enlisted under T.F. Regs, they had to be firstly discharged from the T.F. and re-enlisted into the regulars with new five figure numbers. Perhaps these are those very same men that you've picked up?

Graham.

Graham, thats brilliant, many thanks

Just checking the rest of Pte Bingham's record:-

1) He had served previously with the Connaught Rangers

2) He was 49 years old

3) His record has 'National Reserve' written accross the top

So everything fits with your definition :)

Your idea about the discharging/re-enlisting is really interesting. With the men that I listed they are from a block of about 40 (numbered alphabetically) that were sent to the 1/6th Battn. I'm pretty certain that:-

1) They arrived after Jan 1917

2) They have no 1/6th Battn 4-digit number only the 6-digit number, so that possibly puts it after March 1917 although 1 man was k/a 8.3.17

3) Several of them were k/a in June 1917, so it has to have been before then

Perhaps they were discharged/re-enlisted and found themsleves back with the TF serving overseas. Maybe it had to be done that way if they had enlisted for Home Service only ?

thanks again

Mike

Excellent Mike. This proves what you were suggesting to me a few months ago about the 20*** series.

Graham - thanks (as usual) for the clarification and simple explanation.

Hello,

Supernumerary is a fine old army, perhaps military, word which crops up from time to time, perhaps even today. Meaning, of course, in addition to the authorised number. The authorised number usually being the 'establishment' - the formal documnet specifying the numbers of men, their ranks and equipment to which a unit is entitled.

Old Tom

Hello,

Supernumerary is a fine old army, perhaps military, word which crops up from time to time, perhaps even today. Meaning, of course, in addition to the authorised number. The authorised number usually being the 'establishment' - the formal documnet specifying the numbers of men, their ranks and equipment to which a unit is entitled.

Old Tom

Hello Chums,

Old Tom,

The term 'Supernumerary' IS still used today as you so rightly surmised. I can remember being placed in that particular group on quite a few occasions during my RM career. If there was a task to be carried out, a certain number of individuals, troops, company's or however many were detailed off. Anyone who was either spare or latecomer would be formed into a 'Supernumerary' group....just in case! In another way, individuals that the higher ups did not know what to do with, were, for conveniance, formed into a 'Supernumerary', then used where and when required.

Seph :D

• 1 year later...
I am hoping that someone on GWF can suppy the answer :blink:

Here is my conundrum:-

It would appear that the Notts and Derby Regt (Sherwood Foresters) were using some kind of special numbering system to move men between the 4 different Territorial Battalions.

Some men originally had the 4-digit number, they were then given a 20*** number and then the 1917 6-digit number (if they still around by then). The 20*** numbers follow the 6-digit number order

For example:-

Lokes 344 to 20011 to 242604

Moxon 2540 to 20012 to 242605

Offord 1868 to 20014 to 242606

Parker 3126 to 20015 to 242607

R'son 2923 to 20016 to 242608

You will see that the 4-digit numbers are not in sync with the 6-digit numbers, which is not how the Notts & Derbt TF did things. So my thought was that this was some sort of clearing system for moving men around the different TF Battalion (perhaps some were wounded etc). The men are also in alphabetical order.

Hi

You can find a photo and some more information about George Lokes here

Any further information would be gratefully accepted.