Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yeoman Rifles

Jon6640

I was reading the reprint of True World War 1 Stories, and read the account by R. W. Iley, which begins:

In November 1915 I was one of those accepted by Colonel Lord Feversham to be enlisted in the Yeoman Rifles being formed at Helmsley Park.

In January 1916 the battalion was transferred to Aldershot, where we became fit for our great adventure. Runners were asked for, and I volunteered for the job.

After a terrific route march (from the effects of which some died) and an inspection by H.M. the King, our ammunition and identity discs were issued and we sailed for France on May 4th, 1916.

The bit which intrigues me is "After a terrific route march (from the effects of which some died)" does any forum member have any knowledge of the Yeoman Rifles and whether any men did die on the tab and even better who they were?

A shot in the dark I know but the forum always amazes me.........

The Yeoman Rifles were the 21st Batt. Kings Royal Rifles Corps, a service battalion.

Dave

Future prime minister Antony Eden was a found member of the Yeoman Rifles and was its Adjutant for a time. He makes no mention of this incident in his memoir 'Another World 1897-1917'.

Charles M