Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

QMAAC

charger

Hello,

Could you please help with regard my great aunts service record, which I got from the PRO? She was in the QMAAC and served with unit 9 at Pont de Briques. Was Pont de Brique a camp for incoming and outgoing soldier movements, a supply depot or R & R area? Was this in the grounds of the Chateau?

She was in hospital at Wimereux and was put on a ship home, on the tag by the name of ship it looks like A J or AY Brighton Dover would this be the name of the ship and destination Dover any help on this one would be helpful. The uk hospital she went to was Isleworth.

A lot of her papers are stamped with Connaught Club Hostel & Connaught Club Depot where was this and does it still exist.

If you can help it would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Steve

Steve

The hospitals stationed at Wimereux were No 32 Staionary Hospital 31/10/14- 14/4/19 and No 14 General Hospital 21/10/14 0 14/4/19.

There was a hospital ship called Brighton, served 18th March 1915 - 15th May 1920.

The only reference I could find to Isleworth is Isleworth Aux Military Hospital, Percy House School, 281 O/Rs. It was affiliated to The King George Hospital - London District.

I have not found any reference to Pont de Briques or Connaught Club Hostel as yet but hope the above helps

Barbara

Steve

The Connaught Club was at 75 Seymour Street, Marble Arch, London, WC2, and was taken over by the War Office in April 1917 as the QMAACs Headquarters and Hostel.

I don't know whether the building still exists, but it was large enough to accommodate in excess of 200.

Sue

Barbara & Sue thank you for the replies they have been very helpful. The only information I can find out about Pont de Briques is, it was Napoleon's Headquarters and several references in war diaries entrained or caught train at Pont de Briques but not much else

Kind regards

Steve

Pont de Briques was a railway junction much used by people travelling to and from the rest camps in the Boulogne region, such as Ostrohove camp, or after disembarkingat Boulogne.

Re No 14 hospital at Wimereux- my aunt, who was in France with the Salvation Army, was nursed there in November 1918, when she caught Spanish flu. The building was the former Chateau Meurice, which is now called Les Meuriciens. What is now the Hotel Paul et Virginie next door was the stable block, according to its present owner.

Liz

Barbara & Sue thank you for the replies they have been very helpful. The only information I can find out about Pont de Briques is, it was Napoleon's Headquarters and several references in war diaries entrained or caught train at Pont de Briques but not much else

Kind regards

Steve