Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deborah and the War of the Tanks 1917 by John Taylor

Gardenerbill

It is rare to describe a fully referenced historical non-fiction book as a page turner, but I couldn’t put this one down, I can honestly say it is the most enjoyable Great War book I have read to date. As a boy at heart I have a fascination for Tanks, I have the Airfix MK1 model tank and I was keen to find out about this 'New' form of warfare and the brave men who went in to battle in the first Tanks. It helped that I had just read Prior and Wilson’s ‘Passchendaele: The Untold Story’ but what really piqued my interest was the story of the discovery of D51 ‘Deborah’. The background detail uncovered by the author of both the men and the actions they took part in paint a vivid picture of these early pioneers of Tank warfare.  Like a lot of recent Great War books it is not judgemental but presents the facts from contemporary documents alongside personal accounts and opinions of those who were there and impartially discusses some of the myths. I am not ashamed to admit that it even brought a tear to my eye in the final chapter. If you haven’t read this book what are you waiting for, get yourself a copy, especially with the 100th anniversary of Cambrai coming up later this year.  

Agreed. Better still though is a visit to Flesquieres (nr Cambrai) to see Deborah ideally in Phillip G's company with Bob Heap (Frank's grandson) along as well. Deborah should seen be rehoused in a new museum - still in Flesquieres, opening  20 Nov 2017.

Best, Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Mark (and Paul), I've just come across your message and wanted to say how greatly I appreciate your feedback - it goes without saying that researching and writing the book was a labour of love, and reading your comments really makes it all worthwhile.

Paul, I completely agree that reading about Deborah doesn't compare in any way with the reality, and the aim of the book was to encourage people to visit and experience her remarkable power and mystery at first-hand.  Indeed, it was just such a visit that triggered our interest and launched the long research project that finally culminated in the book (though like you, my interest probably goes way back to the time when I assembled an Airfix Mark I tank - which turns out to have been Philippe's initial inspiration as well!)

If you happen to visit Deborah at the same time as Frank Heap's grandson (probably Tim, who is the most frequent visitor) then you are lucky indeed.

I'm pleased to see that construction work on the museum is well under way, and we're all looking forward to seeing her in her new home.

All the best, John

• 7 months later...

Just bumping this topic.as the Kindle version of the book is available for 99p at the moment (sorry, John, not a lot of profit in that)

Entirely agree with the comments above on this book. Brilliant research, beautifully written. A 'must read'  for anyone interested in Cambrai and tanks. My grandfather was in the 2/5th DoWs (West Ridiing) regiment, 62nd Division who were on the left flank of 51st Highland Division, hence my interest in Cambrai. I must go back to the battlefield, equipped with my Kindle version of the book (which I did not get at the 'snip' price that it is selling for at the moment!)

99p!  That's so cheap I might have to buy a copy myself.  Seriously, I'm delighted by your comments Chris.  Who needs money - all the positive feedback has made it worthwhile.

Incidentally the new Deborah Museum is due to open this week in Flesquières which is even more reason to go.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Visited the museum last week and was fairly impressed.  Nice to get up close to a WW1 tank. A bit of extra interpretation for those who don't know the background may be worth it but it is a  museum in development all the same. The young man on the reception desk was very enthusiastic and helpful. However I couldn't see the reason for the series of framed artifacts with no explanation of what and where they had come from (apart from the obvious)  But well worth a visit anyway.

10 hours ago, Baldrickspilot said:

Visited the museum last week and was fairly impressed.  Nice to get up close to a WW1 tank. A bit of extra interpretation for those who don't know the background may be worth it but it is a  museum in development all the same. The young man on the reception desk was very enthusiastic and helpful. However I couldn't see the reason for the series of framed artifacts with no explanation of what and where they had come from (apart from the obvious)  But well worth a visit anyway.

Blimey, you are hard to impress.  I think it is excellent.  The setting is wonderful; the juxtaposition of the modern, bare concrete, and Deborah significantly heightens the experience.  She sits there for all to see, unimpeded by signs and display boards.  Deborah tell her own story.

But if you want to know more, and getting us back on to topic (which is the book rather than the tank) I strongly recommend that you buy John's excellent book.  it's 280 pages of 'extra interpretation'.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2018 at 09:18, paulgranger said:

Just bumping this topic.as the Kindle version of the book is available for 99p at the moment (sorry, John, not a lot of profit in that)

whaaaaat??? My Kindle just puts it at 12 euro.... 

unfair... 

23 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

whaaaaat??? My Kindle just puts it at 12 euro.... 

unfair... 

Well, it's gone back up to £11.70 on Amazon UK. Those deals don't last long, it seems 😕

• 1 month later...

I must be the only person on this Forum who's pleased the price has gone back up!

Seriously, I really appreciate the positive comments, which are the real reward. No one does this kind of thing for money.

All the best, John

I visited the new museum a couple of weeks ago, impressive. But a word of caution i went too close, wishing to have a good look. An alarm went off that did nothing for my blood pressure! Anyone of a nervous disposition should stand well back. The book is in my to be read pile, after reading the reviews perhaps it should come nearer the top. 

16 hours ago, keithfazzani said:

The book is in my to be read pile, after reading the reviews perhaps it should come nearer the top. 

No, it should go straight to the top ;-)   ........ do not pass 'GO'....... do not collect £200

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much again - just to mention that I will be giving a lecture on Deborah to the London branch of the Western Front Association at their monthly meeting on Thursday July 5.  The meeting starts at 7pm in the Union Jack Club, Sandell Street, Waterloo, London SE1 8UJ.  It would be great if any of you could come along - however it's a service club so security is tight and you must have your name on the door.  Details are here (PS I know the picture's wrong!): http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/branches/united-kingdom/london/

Hope to see you there, John

On 02/06/2018 at 15:17, simond9x said:

No, it should go straight to the top ;-)   ........ do not pass 'GO'....... do not collect £200

It did and I am now three quarters of the way through. It is truly an excellent book and very well written. It also appears to be one of the few books that I have read recently that has been properly proof read, which means that I don't have to expostulate every couple of pages. If you have an interest in WW1 and haven't yet read this book, do so at once. 

Many thanks Keith - I'm pretty pedantic about proof-reading, but to my shame, a friend recently pointed out a real howler that I hadn't spotted.  Maybe I should offer a prize to anyone else who can find it... but what the hell, I might as well 'fess up, as they say.  In the first line on page 29, the word "an" is missing: the horror, the horror!  Well done to Marcel for spotting it though.  I doubt if there'll be a second edition where I can correct it, but I suppose you never know.

All the best, John

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/06/2018 at 19:41, johntaylor said:

Thanks so much again - just to mention that I will be giving a lecture on Deborah to the London branch of the Western Front Association at their monthly meeting on Thursday July 5.  The meeting starts at 7pm in the Union Jack Club, Sandell Street, Waterloo, London SE1 8UJ.  It would be great if any of you could come along - however it's a service club so security is tight and you must have your name on the door.  Details are here (PS I know the picture's wrong!): http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/branches/united-kingdom/london/

Hope to see you there, John

Good to meet you the other night John (at your talk at London WFA). It has motivated me to get stuck into you're book which I downloaded a little while ago. And obviously I'd love to get over to Flesquieres some time. Incidentally, that cemetery has the grave of a RW Kent soldier (KIA 31/12/17) whose original wooden grave marker resides in a church near me (and have borrowed for talks). 

Best, Jeremy 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jeremy, apologies - I've only just seen your message, but likewise it was great to meet up with you and congratulations about your own book, which looks fascinating:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photographing-Fallen-Graves-Photographer-Western/dp/1473893658

I hope you make it to Flesquieres some time, and I don't think you'll be disappointed!

All the best, John

• 2 weeks later...