Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gendarmerie v Military Police

Gardenerbill

A question has come up on the Salonika and the Balkans sub forum and I thought some of the 'Western Front' pals might be able to help with it. If the Gendarmerie in a town behind the lines, say in Poperinghe had trouble with Tommies at what point would they call in the British Military Police?

Here's the link:

Salonika Question

In general, they would would pass the case onto the MPs immediately, maybe via the Town Major. The BEF had quite a strong legal hold over the area that it occupied in France, from regulating brothels to checking brewery hygiene.

Charles M 

On 4/18/2017 at 14:30, charlesmessenger said:

In general, they would would pass the case onto the MPs immediately, maybe via the Town Major. The BEF had quite a strong legal hold over the area that it occupied in France, from regulating brothels to checking brewery hygiene.

Charles M 

I remember reading about a issue arising between the French locals and the Brits over "brewery hygiene".  A French village had some

sort of sewage-infested pond within the village. The local British command got fed up with it, and had the hygiene of the pond corrected.

Unfortunately, the local monks made the local beer from the fluid in the pond, and after the state of the pond was altered to British 

standards, the locals felt that their local beer had lost a good deal of the flavor that the locals had come to know and love, causing

considerable local resentment with British meddling.

This was from one of the well-known memoires by a British field-grade officer, but I read it years ago and cannot recall which one.