Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this memorial - probably Ypres Salient

johntaylor

Hi, after the success of my last inquiry I would be grateful for help in identifying another mystery photograph.  This is from the album of a soldier's post-war visit and shows a newly built memorial, presumably to a division or some such.  The other photos show Ypres and the Salient so this may well be in the same area.  Unfortunately the reproduction isn't very good but hopefully it's clear enough to make out.

I've been through various guidebooks but have drawn a blank.  Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Thanks, John 

Memorial 1 for GWF.jpg

Edited by johntaylor

Isn't this the original memorial on Hill 60?

Jan

Hi John

I'm no expert but I'm with Jan; it looks like the Queen Victoria's Rifles Memorial on Hill 60,

Pete.

Looking at the picture of the QVR memorial in "Before Endeavours Fade" (page 48 of edition 4 and page 63 of edition 14) it looks at lot different. As the QVR memorial was rebuilt is this the original?

regards

Indefatigable

28 minutes ago, John_Hartley said:

By the by, why was the memorial rebuilt?

There was very heavy fighting there late May 1940 (some of the shell holes on Hill 60 etc. date from this period, also the anti-tank round visible in the bunker). I guess the memorial was just damaged in this fighting (you can still see the bullet holes in the nearby Australian memorial as well).

Jan

2 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

There was very heavy fighting there late May 1940 (some of the shell holes on Hill 60 etc. date from this period, also the anti-tank round visible in the bunker). I guess the memorial was just damaged in this fighting (you can still see the bullet holes in the nearby Australian memorial as well).

Jan

The damage was not done by my father, he fought in an AAA battery at Hill 60 1940 :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, John_Hartley said:

By the by, why was the memorial rebuilt?

Hill 60 was defended by 'A'Coy of the 2/Royal Scots Fusiliers on 26th-27th May 1940 and was the scene of an extremely vicious defensive action. The memorial was irreparably damaged by mortar fire from German 18.I.D. positions at Zwarteleen and gunfire from the 74 Artillerie regiment moving through Kleine Zillebeke.

Dave

2 minutes ago, CROONAERT said:

... The memorial was irreparably damaged by mortar fire from German 18.I.D. positions at Zwarteleen ...

The German mortars were located approximately on the site of the tall, grey building on this image taken from 'Germano-Australian-Belgian' bunker on Hill 60 (which, incidentally, was re-used in this action).

Dave

View from 2RSF positions towards german mortar pits (2).jpg

As always, I'm hugely impressed by Pals' incredible knowledge.  I must admit Hill 60 did cross my mind, as the memorial is obviously on a hill and you can see the remains of concrete bunkers beside it.  But I would never have found this out without your help - even though I have a copy of 'Walking the Salient' in which the picture appears.

Many thanks as always!

PS I have another one which may be trickier.  Will post it later.

Many thanks, John

While searching for confirmation of the identity of the memorial I came upon this from 1937 on the mining site Aditnow.co.uk. It's copyright by Digit who is a member of that site but I assume it is ok to post the link. I think it illustrates the location superbly, but I'm stumped as to what the viewpoint is.

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/Photo/Hill-60-Memorial-Queen-Victorias-Rifles-3-July-1937_54494/

Pete.

P.S. Dear Mods, if this is either illegal or bad form (or both) please feel free to axe the post forthwith..........

I noticed that photo as well, and thought it was fascinating - more so than mine, as a matter of fact.

PS I'm sure there's no problem with linking to it - in fact he tells you how to do that on his page. The problem would be in using the photograph without attribution, or that's how I understand it!

Just now, johntaylor said:

I noticed that photo as well, and thought it was fascinating - more so than mine, as a matter of fact.

PS I'm sure there's no problem with linking to it - in fact he tells you how to do that on his page. The problem would be in using the photograph without attribution, or that's how I understand it!

Thanks John; I thought that was the case. I wanted to be extra careful in case the new mods are as keen as mustard and don't like the cut of my jib. And who could blame them.

There is lots to admire in the photograph, not least the view towards what I assume is the high ground that Geluveld stands on. I might be imagining it but there might be a church spire on the horizon just above the trees on the extreme left if you enlarge it.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

...While searching for confirmation of the identity of the memorial I came upon this from 1937 on the mining site Aditnow.co.uk. It's copyright by Digit who is a member of that site but I assume it is ok to post the link. I think it illustrates the location superbly, but I'm stumped as to what the viewpoint is.

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/Photo/Hill-60-Memorial-Queen-Victorias-Rifles-3-July-1937_54494/ ...

A similar view from exactly the same spot... 1938/39 ...

Dave

Hill 60 (2).jpg

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

While searching for confirmation of the identity of the memorial I came upon this from 1937 on the mining site Aditnow.co.uk. It's copyright by Digit who is a member of that site but I assume it is ok to post the link. I think it illustrates the location superbly, but I'm stumped as to what the viewpoint is.

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/Photo/Hill-60-Memorial-Queen-Victorias-Rifles-3-July-1937_54494/

Pete.

P.S. Dear Mods, if this is either illegal or bad form (or both) please feel free to axe the post forthwith..........

Pete

This is exactly how you SHOULD do it. So no problems at all.

Neil

The 1938/9 picture is also amazing - and shows where the first photograph was taken from, i.e. the cafe roof.

If only the solution to my other mystery picture was so straightforward...

John

58 minutes ago, johntaylor said:

The 1938/9 picture is also amazing - and shows where the first photograph was taken from, i.e. the cafe roof.

If only the solution to my other mystery picture was so straightforward...

John

That one is indisputably a cracker John.........

1 hour ago, Neil Mackenzie said:

Pete

This is exactly how you SHOULD do it. So no problems at all.

Neil

I hoped that would be the case Neil; thanks matey. I echo and indeed second your thanks to Kate by the way; there should be a campaign medal struck in my humble opinion.

Pete.

I visited the spot today and here is a comparison with the original photo, as close as I could get it.  It's very hard to match exactly, and the distant view is now hidden by trees, but the concrete bunker positions can still be made out today.

Thanks to all Forum members who assisted with the identification.

All the best, John

Memorial 1 for GWF today.JPG

On 03/10/2016 at 18:25, CROONAERT said:

A similar view from exactly the same spot... 1938/39 ...

What a cracking photo Dave. The setting for the QVR memorial looks really impressive pre WW2 - much more so than it does today.

Neil

Just as a follow up to the Hill 60 views check out Jon's post on a similar theme, with an alternative view of the QVR Memorial.

Pete.

Thanks for pointing this out Pete - the other photos are excellent, and certainly better quality than the series I've been investigating.

All the best, John