Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Plateau Railway Line

TEW

While trawling through medical various diaries I noticed that LaPree Wood, Carnoy was chosen as a Walking Wounded Collection Station around Aug 1916 because of it's proximity to 'Plateau Siding' which could then evacuate men to 'Grovetown'.

No such line or place showing on any trenchmap I've seen and only other queries as to 'Plateau Line' on the forum with no answers as to where it ran, how many branch-lines, where etc.

Anyway, I found a map showing the Plateau Line from the main Albert Line as far east as Trones Wood, also shown are the sub-branch lines marked as 'Metre Gauge' ie like the light railway to the south of Carnoy.

It's titled Map 5 of Transportation on the Western Front

It's dated Ordnance Survey 1937 but I'm sure it must be 'as was' circa 1916. The pencil additions may not be accurate.

No idea why it's not shown on trenchmaps other than for security reasons.

Plateau Railway Line

Just thought some may like to see it

TEW

...No idea why it's not shown on trenchmaps other than for security reasons...

Like any other 'trench map' enquiry, it all really depends on which particular trench map that you happen to look at...

Dave

post-357-0-97537300-1463181736_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-77766700-1463181746_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-74817700-1463181997_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-15511000-1463182007_thumb.jpg

Croonaert

Off subject but do you know why Wormwood Scubs on your map was called the same and spelt the same as the Wormwood Scrubs in Hammersmith. Would the 22nd Royal Fusiliers have had something to do with the area ?

From the LLT

22nd (Service) Battalion (Kensington)
Formed at White City, 11 September 1914, by the Mayor and Borough of Kensington June 1915.

White City, the site of the 1908 Franco - British Exhibition, was used as a military training area, as was the nearby Wormwood Scrubs from 1879, so possibly a connection there,

However, the location in France could possibly have been so named by one of the units that trained there prior to going to France but also, as there appear to be a rail junction, sidings etc. shown on the map, it could have been named after the Great Western Railway Depot on the North side of Wormwood Scrubs by the unit(s) that built the line.

Squirrel

Yes that's why I was asking, because of the 22nd's connection with Wormwood Scrubs and White City. The Welsh Guards were also at White City for a time in addition to other units who used The Scrubs for training.

Thanks for sharing these maps; from other descriptions, I understood that Plateau and Happy Valley sidings were collocated

Obviously not

Myrtle

Not overly helpful but McMaster maps refer to it as Wormwood Scrubs Copse for 1915 maps but as Wormwood Scrubs Railway location 1917 onwards.

Hem station did run past the copse in 1915 but none of the McMaster or NLS maps I've seen show the Plateau line. So I assume the vast sidings that developed at the copse took it's name from the already named Wormwood Scrubs Copse.

Someone must have given the copse that name and most likely a unit with a connection other than the railway?

TEW

Could have been any of the units, including many of the London Regiment units, that trained at White City and/or Wormwood Scrubs.