Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Serie Bleue maps

John_Hartley

This may be the ramblings on an old man, but I'm sure I remember mention of a French website which allowed you to enter the name of a commune and it would then post which Serie Bleu map (1:25000) it was on.

I don't seem to be able to find the site. Can anyone point me towards its (or is the memory really starting to slip?)

Currently looking for Gonnelieu (or Gonnilieu as in 6th Cheshires war diary)

TIA

• Admin

John you need 2507 E, Gonneliieu is at the bottom of the map, so if you want to go down to Villers Guislain you will also need 2508 E

Michelle

Hi John

Ken is right with http://espaceloisirs.ign.fr/boutique/top-25-et-serie-bleue.html Insert your place name in the box where it says Lieu and press Recherchez. It will give you a small map divided into squares, with each of the relevant maps numbered and listed at the side. I have often bought direct from IGN and they are very efficient.

Geoportail will show you the map online. Click Simplifiée > http://tab.geoportail.fr/ , put the place in the search box, expand De in the orange box in the left hand menu and choose Cartes IGN or whatever else you fancy looking at.

Visorando also has a map finder.

Gwyn

Thanks to all. And also to mebu, who PM'd me with an offer of a scan of the Gonnelieu map - from Michelle's mention of 2507E, I realise I already have that one.

Now, I'm off to map 6th Cheshires March 18 retreat.........

John you need 2507 E, Gonneliieu is at the bottom of the map, so if you want to go down to Villers Guislain you will also need 2508 E

Michelle

What law is it that says that the place you want is ALWAYS on the edge of a map?

What law is it that says that the place you want is ALWAYS on the edge of a map?

It isn't! (Well, not necessarily, anyway... it depends which version you use :thumbsup: )... the IGN also produce 'link' maps which run consecutively with the regular series (or at least they used to do so anyway... can't find any current details on these for some reason)...

Dave

post-357-0-74697900-1455549349_thumb.jpg

Géoportail (the Simplifiée page) allows you to centre the IGN map on your required place and print it out, or save it to your device. Or you can choose whatever option you like - routes, land parcels, topography, Cassini (the old maps), hydrology... Or you can simply download the Géoportail app.

Remonter le temps is a fantastic IGN platform on which you can view old maps, old aerial photos and modern maps simultaneously so you can compare the two. For example, the 1950s maps or the Photos aériennes historiques (1950-1965) option could be quite useful for spotting features which survived to 40 years after the Great War and have now gone. Insert your place in the search box on the map and choose an option from each of the drop down menus. (Not all places have Photos aériennes historiques yet. The aim is to have the whole coverage by the end of 2016.) Click on Visualisez.

Gwyn

• Admin

Didn't Brian Horrocks say something to the effect that the British Army always fights uphil, in the rain and on the junction of two maps?

I thought you would have known that every battle in history has been fought on the join between two maps (and under the coffee stain).

And, if it happened near the coast, you'll pay out for a map which is 98% blue and 2% land. This may be relevant in the case of the battle of the Somme, which the Daily Mail asserted happened on a beach near Dunkirk.

• 2 weeks later...