Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Berkshire in the First World War

Moonraker

This book was produced by Reading Borough Libraries and thus relates mostly to the Greater Reading area, rather than all of Berkshire (which a century ago included parts of what are now South Oxfordshire). Hungerford, in the west of the county, gets just one reference, and that is to the rural district council.

The book is a collection of individual contributions that I suspect have been well edited to give a straightforward account of various aspects of the war. (With Reading Station serving several key rail routes, perhaps a chapter on railways would have been welcome, though there are many incidental references.)

There are good sections on No 1 School of Aeronautics, Belgian refugees food shortages, farming, policing and local medal winners.

The war effort of Huntley & Palmer's biscuit factory is described, including shell production and the making of army biscuits - there's a passing reference to the notorious hardness of at least one recipe!

Particulary noteworthy is material on conscientious objection, with Leighton Park School being a Quaker one; nevertheless 30 Old Leightonians died during the war. A separate chapter is devoted to John Temple Hull, a Primitive Methodist who refuse to be recruited.

The book does extend beyond Reading with its coverage of detention centres and internment camps; not only did Reading Prison hold internees, including those from Ireland, but there were camps at Holyport (near Maidenhead) and Newbury. Part of Broadmoor Criminal Lunatic Asylum became Crowthorne War Hospital for prisoners of war with "acute mental disease", though it appears to have been something of a clearing house, providing diagnosis and initial ttreatment.

Moonraker

Since my opening post above, I've recalled that established author David Bilton was writing a book for Pen & Sword, "Reading in the Great War", which may explain the "Berkshire" title in the Reading Borough Libraries production.

David's book is listed on various websites (though not, as far as I can see, Pen & Sword's), with one giving a publication date of "2015-01-02". (Is that January 2 or February 1?) Amazon notes that it's "out of print - limited availability". A Reading librarian told me that she'd tried to order the book locally, but with no luck.

The central library in Reading does have a modest DIY booklet of pages catalogued

thus

I wonder if P & S decided not to go ahead with its title following the Reading Libraries production?

On the subject of Berkshire in its entirety, I should mention (again) GWF member Roger Day's

book

that covers the Hungerford part of Berkshire.

Moonraker

Hungerford also gets a mention on page 305.

If anyone wants a copy then it will cost £18 by post including P&P from Reading Library - c/o Ann Smith, Local Studies. You can pick up a copy in person for £10 (which indicates how heavy it is) but hurry because they have only a few left and are not sure whether to do a reprint. (cheques to' Reading Central Library')

• 1 month later...

According to the Pen & Sword website the release date for David Bilton's Reading in the Great War is now August 30 this year; originally it was scheduled for February.

Moonraker

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The release date for Reading in the Great War is now March 1, 2016, according to BookDepository.com, though I can't find the title on the Pen & Sword website. That's a 14-month delay (see post 2 above).

Moonraker