Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2052 Rifleman William Mariner, VC 2 Bn KRRC

Guest Romesaround

Guest Romesaround

Dear All,

I am looking for photos of Cpl Mariner VC. He was killed in the same attack as my grandfather Rfn Romeril DCM was wounded in and I think they were in the same section before this.

I have seen a section photo which may feature both of them the month before the attack. Mariner VC (?) seems to have a Kitchener style mustache.

I have found a range of earlier post VC photos. Has anyone seen any later photos or indeed anything more about Marine apart from the brief biography available on line?

Many thanks

Rifleman William Mariner, whose real surname was Wignall, was born on 29 May 1882 at Chorley in Lancashire. After moving to Salford and attending school, he worked as a collier before joining the Army in 1902. He was posted to 2nd KRRC, spending the whole of his service in India where he was lightweight wrestling champion. He left the Army in 1908 and found work as a brick setter. He aslo found himself on the wrong side of the law, acquiring a criminal record for breaking and entering. Thus, when he reenlisted in the KRRC on 26th August 1914, he chose to do so under the assumed surname of Mariner.

Mariner joined the 2nd KRRC in France in November 1914. On 22nd May 1915 he was a member of "B" Company 2nd KRRC in the forward trenches of a sector which had been the scene of much fighting during the preceding months. Having suffered many casualties from a German machine gun post, Rifleman Mariner volunteered to silence the weapon and its crew, knowing full well that the chances of his return were slim. Waht happened is best described in the words of his VC citation:-

"During a violent bombardment on the night of 22nd May 1915, he (Rifleman Mariner) left his trench near Cambrin, France, and crept out through the German wire entanglements till he reached the emplacement of a German machine gun which had been damaging our parapets and hindering our working parties. After climbing on top of the German parapet he threw a bomb under the roof of the gun emplacement and heard some groaning and the enemy running away. After about quarter of an hour he heard some of them coming back again and climbed up on the other side of the emplacement and threw another bomb among them left handed. He the lay still while the Germans opened up a heavy fire on the wire entanglements behind him, and it was only after about an hour that he was able to crawl back to his own trench. Before starting out he had requested a sergeant to open fire on the enemy's trenches as soon as he had thrown his bombs. Rifleman Mariner was out alone for one and a half hours carrying out his gallant work."

In August 1915, Mariner returned to England on leave and on 12th August left his mothers house in Salford without informing her of his plans. She suspected that he was to receive his VC that day and with her daughter entrained for Windsor. At Windsor Mrs Wignall was informed that the award ceremony was at Buckingham Palace, so she joined the hudreds of people outside the Palace and was able to see her son after the investiture. Mariner was also treated to a civic reception in Salford and presented with an illuminated address and a gold watch. However, he was soon in France again where he was wounded and invalided back to England on 24th August. He returned to France on 12th October after appearing in court charged with two days absence. At his court appearance he wore his VC only to be ticked off by the magistrate and warned not to bring that cross into court again in such circumstances.

At 9.15pm on 30th June 1916, while still a member of "B" Company, 2nd KRRC, Rifleman Mariner took part in a diversionary attack near Loo's. The German line was reached but, in the ensuing action lasting over four hours, Mariner was killed. A colleague later described him losing his senses and running in pursuit of the retreating enemy, but being caught by a shell while bayoneting a prone German and blown to bits. Because the date of his death is recorded as 1st July 1916, it is often erroneously thought that he must have died on the Somme.

His V.C. is often referred to as the convict V.C.

Somme Harvest, written by Giles E.M. Eyre, refers to Mariner and his comrades very often and is a good read.

Andy

2052 Rifleman William Mariner, VC (not Corporal by the way) - here you go ...

post-20192-0-75469600-1405289968_thumb.j post-20192-0-13310500-1405289977_thumb.j

Upper lip hairless here I'm afraid.

Some more background to follow shortly.

Cheers,

Mark

Report on unveiling of the civic memorial plaque in Chorley to William Mariner from the 2003 KRRCA Journal ...

post-20192-0-77457000-1405291159_thumb.j

post-20192-0-69585300-1405291174_thumb.j

post-20192-0-90228200-1405291185_thumb.j

post-20192-0-09955700-1405291204_thumb.j

Dear All,

I am looking for photos of Cpl Mariner VC. He was killed in the same attack as my grandfather Rfn Romeril DCM was wounded in and I think they were in the same section before this.

I have seen a section photo which may feature both of them the month before the attack. Mariner VC (?) seems to have a Kitchener style mustache.

I have found a range of earlier post VC photos. Has anyone seen any later photos or indeed anything more about Marine apart from the brief biography available on line?

Many thanks

Romesaround,

On the off chance that you do not already have your grandfather's CM citation for Captain Bullen's trench raid on the night of 9-10 Jan 1916 at Puits 14 bis at Loos ...

post-20192-0-05944000-1405293920_thumb.j

• spof changed the title to 2052 Rifleman William Mariner, VC 2 Bn KRRC