Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Frederick Street - Lincolnshire Regiment and Kings Own Scottish B

daniellejspencer

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could provide a bit more information on my husband's great uncle Pte Frederick Street, he originally joined the Lincolnshire Regiment in Derby (not sure when - might have been at the beginning of WW1), his regimental number was 39913, we know that he was wounded in France in May 1917 at that time he was with the Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Highland Light Infantry with the numbers 5078 and 41944. Frederick died of his wounds at Govan Hospital on the 23rd of June, his body was brought home late June/early July and is buried with full military honours in Belper Cemetery. I have searched for his records but have only been able to find his WW1 Medal Roll, would anyone be able to provide a little more on Frederick's posting and where he was wounded etc.

Frederick and his brother Joseph (who survived WW1) are having a memorial plaque placed on the sleepers at Lochnagar Crater this year.

Looking forward to any replies with much anticipation (I've attached a Belper News from July 1917 relating to Frederick's body being brought home)

Danielle Spencer

Belper News July 1917.pdf

Hi

The No.39913 is a 1917 issued number, however, not on the MIC or the Lincolnshire Medal Rolls (which is a different document to the MIC or Medal Index Card)

The nearest I can find to No.39913 is 39904 which was issued to the 14th Labour Company in 1917. There are other battalions in that area/batch of numbers (the 6/Lincs & 7/Lincs) but this doesn't really prove anything.

The fact that the Lincolnshires' are not mentioned on his MIC makes me think he may have joined up prior to WW1. There again, there is no mention of a 1914 Star or 1915 Star award or a posting to the Labour Corps.

You need a look at his Highland Light Infantry Medal Roll which is referenced D/104 B18 1460 on his MIC.

If he volunteered for the Lincolnshires and did the training with them in late 1916 or 1917, he was not guaranteed to be posted to a Lincs battalion. By the mid-war period it was a matter of luck as to where you were put. I have medals in my collection stamped to the Lincolns, but the men ended up in the field with another county regiment.

Richard

to STDAPE2011 - no I noticed that the Lincs Reg. is not mentioned on his medal card, will pursue the Highland Light Infantry way.

Regards

Danielle

Frederick has two entries on the Scottish National War Memorial - the first as

STREET, Frederick Rank Pte Service number 39913

Place of birth Belper Derbyshire

Date of death 23 June 1917 Theatre of death Home Cause of death Died of wounds.

SNWM roll SCOTTISH CASUALTIES EXTRACTED FROM ENGLISH REGIMENTS Unit name THE LINCOLNSHIRE REGIMENT.

Other detail - latterly 41944 12th Bn. The Highland Light Inf.

The second listing is his HLI entry. This information was usually taken from Soldiers Who Died in the Great War.

His death was registered as Fred Street aged 38 at Govan in Glasgow and his register entry can be viewed at scotlandspeople.gov (for a fee)

Ken

When you look at the MIC, you will see there is a cross with a dot in each corner section. The reference next to it is the one for the roll in which Fred Street will be listed.

R

In the "ROLL OF N.C.O's AND MEN REPORTED WOUNDED" (list of names begins on page 110) of The Highland Light Infantry Chronicle, 1917,

"41994 Pte. STREET, F." is listed on page 114. See http://www.rhf.org.uk/Books/

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Hi Danielle,

I can't help regards his Lincolnshire Regiment because I can't work out where that information came from - It doesn't fit with the pattern of the enlistment scheme of all the other similarly numbered KOSB/HLI men. However, based on this pattern, I can be fairly confident of filling in a few details and dates.

Late 1915/early 1916 - attested under the Derby Scheme

30/03/1916 - mobilised

04/04/1916 - posted to 3rd South Staffordshire Regiment

14/04/1916 - transferred to 2/5th KOSB at Chelmsford, renumbered as Private 5078

14/01/1917 - disembarked in France

15/01/1917 - 21 Infantry Base Depot, Etaples

05/02/1917 - transferred to HLI, renumbered as Private 41944 & posted to 12th Bn

08/02/1917 - 12th HLI in the field

09/04/1917 - wounded

23/06/1917 - died of wounds, Govan Hospital, Glasgow

Frederick was wounded at the very beginning of the Arras Offensive, on the opening day of the First Battle of the Scarpe, 9 April 1917.

I hope this helps. Do you have a photo of Frederick that I could add to my KOSB database, please?

Best wishes,

Stuart

That is brilliant, nice one, Stuart.

I'm blowed if I can find anything on this man with regard to the Lincolnshire in my papers/cd roms.

I will keep looking, though. :ph34r:

Richard

• 5 weeks later...

To Stuart and Richard, sorry I've not responded sooner but been a bit busy, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your efforts, have managed to find his gravestone in our local cemetery, and 2 news articles relating to his death and his body being brought back from Scotland, he was given a full military burial. Unfortunately we don't have any photo's of him. I recently managed to get plaque added to one of the duckboards around the Lochnagar crater together with his brother Joseph who was lucky enough to survive

• 2 weeks later...

This is the information I have -

Private 41944

Frederick Street Depot Highland Light Infantry. Formerly 39913 Lincolnshire Regiment. Died of wounds at Govan Hospital Glasgow on Saturday 23rd June 1917 aged 38 after many weeks in hospital partially paralysed.

He had been wounded in France in March 1917.

Frederick was buried in the Belper Cemetery with full military honours.

Born and resident in Belper he resided at his sisters Mrs Hitchcock of Belper Lane, Frederick enlisted in Derby and was the son of Joseph Street.

Prior to enlistment Frederick worked on the Strutt’s estate. Sorry haven't got a photograph.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 04/10/2018 at 12:52, Guest said:

Hi Danielle I know this is an older topic but

My family is from belper and believe that we may also be related to Frederick street

Hello, only just seen your reply to my enquiry, so pleased there is someone who might be related, are you actually related through the Street side of the family.

Sorry for only just noticing your reply