Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Wiltshire Regiment

HERITAGE PLUS

Can someone please tell me were in Weymouth the 3rd. Wilts were camped in August 1914?

Thanks

Dave

Thanks Graeme I'm afraid it doesn't.

Dave

I only know of Wyke Regis and Lodmoor Camps (Montevideo came later I think) from that time.

Thanks Gareth

I'll explore those possibilities. :)

Dave

• 5 months later...

I am returning to this query as i have not as yet found the answer.

The 3 Wilts held their summer camp at Preston now part of but then near Weymouth in July 1914. I am therefore wondering if they returned to the same place in August 1914. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Have you asked The Wardrobe?

No I haven't nor will I whilst they have this policy in place.

Fees for research are levied on a not-for-profit basis and are used to fund the conservation and maintenance of the museum and its archives. The charge for an initial enquiry is £30.00, payable in advance.

Dave

Ask the Keep in Dorchester, it's close to their patch so they may know.

Good thinking Gareth! Thanks

Bit tedious to check them for a small detail, I know, but there's always the contemporary local newspaper for Weymouth, and some Wiltshire papers covered the activities of the local regiment in the first months of the war.

Moonraker

Thanks Moonraker

A visit to Wilts. Heritage Centre at Chippenham then.

Dave

Dave

The Regimental History by KENRICK reads........’On 8th August, 1914, the 3rd Battalion mobilized under Lieutenant Colonel Lord Heytesbury, and moved to Weymouth. Here they were at first billeted on the inhabitants, their duty being to protect Portland Harbour from attack. Early in 1915 they moved into camp at Lodmoor.

You also may wish to have a look at the Regimental Museum Website at www.thewardrobe.org.uk and there in collection put in the keyword WEYMOUTH and you will pick up a number of images including 13157 which places them in Weymouth in June (I suspect its out by a month) but it might assist you.

Please don’t shoot the messenger as I am a volunteer who assists at the Museum mainly in accessioning images and identification. I am aware that they have to gather funds to stay afloat as they get no MOD funding, but sometimes the money managers there and in other organizations shoot themselves in the foot by overpricing this stuff. Most of the work relating to this side of the museum is conducted by volunteers who do this as an ongoing interest and passion.

Hope that is of assistance, good luck with your research

Cheers

MAC

MAC

Thank-you. Much appreciated.

Dave