Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with badge identification please

derekb

Good Afternoon,

I would like help to identify the cap badge of a recovering wounded soldier, the photograph was taken in Garston in Liverpool.

Thanks and regards,

Derek.

post-18694-0-75256700-1390755510_thumb.j

It could be the Wiltshire Regiment, although the end sections of the scroll beneath the cross in the picture seem to point down, whereas examples I've seen of the Wiltshire Regiment badge has them pointing up.

Hi,

Its the Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment.

Have a look on the postcard thread there's loads of them.

regards

John

munce, museumtom, nevgeoran, tyneside chinaman and steve,

Thanks for your replies and help.

Steve,

I do not know his name, he had a leg amputated, I will try and post the full photo this evening.

Best regards,

Derek.

What establishment was he at in Garston?

That's my partner's hometown and we're just starting to get to grips with the local history there, so would be interested to know.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

I am not sure what hospital the two soldiers were at, as I understand it (and please correct me) there were some major hospitals in Liverpool together with the auxiliary hospitals provided by private generosity, it also became necessary to establish hospitals in schools and other public buildings, and to ask the guardians and the governors of various public hospitals to provide beds at the disposal of the authorities, I believe that these were known as section hospitals and contained varying numbers of beds, among these there was one at Aigburth Cricket Ground which as you may know is very close to Garston.

The photograph was taken by; Morris Richards, Photographic Arts, Carlton Studios, Garston,

Regards,

Derek

post-18694-0-98186600-1391024797_thumb.j

Looks like it might have been the Sir Alfred Jones Memorial Hospital, Woolton Road, Garston.

post-20192-0-34882500-1391042881_thumb.j

This was built on the site of a Smallpox Hospital, parts of which (including the mortuary) survived the building of the Memorial Hospital which was opened in 1915. Architects: C T Anderson & R S Crawford.

The left wing was added in 1931, and it increased the number of beds to 35.

The hospital closed in 2009.

It's all been demolished and a rather garish modern 'Treatment Centre' unit built in its place opening in 2011.

A small portion of the centre of 1915 facade has been preserved in an inner courtyard ...

post-20192-0-30047600-1391044454_thumb.j

Some notes on the foundation ...

post-20192-0-24092800-1391042908_thumb.j

post-20192-0-14469500-1391042916_thumb.j

[pp.9-10 A Few Interesting Details about Garston and District R. Saunders Jones, Liverpool 1919]

These notes seem to corroborate the picture and Aigburth Cricket Ground, though close by, is not strictly speaking in Garston.

Sir Alfred Jones was also the co-founder of the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, the first site for the treatment and cure of tropical diseases in the western world.

Cheers,

Mark

'Garish' it may be, but it is a very pleasant and efficient place to be treated!

Liverpool Cricket Club was indeed in the township of Garston when it moved to Aigburth in the 1880s and did accommodate a hospital in WW1. Garston was incorporated into Liverpool in the early XX century. Curiously, Aigburth CC was in the district of Toxteth Park. Garston itself had its own cricket club but no longer in existence.

D

'Garish' it may be, but it is a very pleasant and efficient place to be treated!

Wouldn't deny that certainly - partner's mother, Garston born and bred, visits there regularly, or else in the Royal. The two of you were only a few wards away from each other in the summer and if I'd known, I'd have dropped by to meet you face-to-face finally!

Do we think the pictures are in Sir Alfred Jones Memorial Hospital rather than the facility at Liverpool CC in Aigburth? Any idea what the latter was known as during the war?

Also do you have an electronic copy of the pamphlet? If not, drop me a PM and I'll send you a copy.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

Mark

Here is part of my post of two years ago in a hospitals thread:

"Another addition to the long list: the pavilion at Liverpool Cricket Club, Aigburth, was used as a military hospital for at least part of the Great War, under the auspices of 1st Western General Hospital (TF) which was based at Shaw Street.
According to the club's history, 60 beds were available for other ranks, a bit ironic in that most of those on the club's roll of honour were officers!"

Thanks for the offer of the pamphlet. I'll send a PM.

Daggers