Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers of the Royal Scots, a picture

E.L.S

Hello,

I'm looking into the history of a relative after finding a folder of old photos in my late uncle's house. The man these pictures belonged to was my Gt Gt uncle, he had no children of his own so I am sharing the pictures digitally with the rest of my family, I feel its important we don't forget him or the astounding times he lived in and the incredible things he did.

I am asking for help please with one particular picture. It shows 14 officers and was taken in London, my relative is amongst them. The lovely man at the Royal Scots museum had a quick look for me and suggested one of the men might be Col Sir George McCrae.

Ideally I would like to find out who all of these men are, when the picture was taken (I'm told after 1922 due to the medals) and if anyone knows what the occasion was. A friend has suggested this picture might be known to others, I have 3 original coppies so I know that a number were printed.

I realise I wont find all of the above but something is better than nothing!

The picture itsself is too large to attach to a post so I've put it in my gallery titled Officers of the Royal Scots.

Thank you to all who look, I very much appreciate all help.

Hi Pippa

Is it possible that these men were from the Hearts of Midlothian playing squad who were among the first recruits of the 16th Battalion Royal Scots?

I didn't know but Google did

Regards Barry

Hi Barry,

I know my chap wasn't part of the Hearts team. Looking at the uniforms these seem to be all officers from various battalions within the Royal Scots and I think if memory serves the Hearts team served within only two battalions.

Pippa

The picture itself is too large to attach to a post so I've put it in my gallery titled Officers of the Royal Scots.

Thank you to all who look, I very much appreciate all help.

Where exactly do we find this gallery? Google failed to locate it.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark, I apologise. If you click on my user name it brings up my profile page. On the left you will find the word overview in bold, under there is a menu, the bottom option of which is gallery. If you click on the word gallery it will bring up my pictures.

Malcolm, your suggestion to contact Jack Alexander was brilliant, thank you. He has been able to confirm the identity of a couple of the men and in doing so has narrowed the dating of the picture to 1921-1923. He has helped me immensely with my research and I'm very grateful.

The picture itself is too large to attach to a post so I've put it in my gallery titled Officers of the Royal Scots.

Here you go ...

post-20192-0-67710800-1380911556_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

hi

I purchased a royal scots territorial officers tunic with cuff titles, I am trying to research the officers but can't find any details ?

if anyone can help.

the tunic is fantastic in perfect condition, and is the pride of my collection.

29259 2nd Lt A MacDougall royal scots tunic has wound stripe on arm

if anyone can help it would be great.

many thanks

stuart

hi

I purchased a royal scots territorial officers tunic with cuff titles, I am trying to research the officers but can't find any details ?

if anyone can help.

many thanks

stuart

Is he in this picture?

hi

if anyone can help.

many thanks

stuart

Hi Stuart,

Welcome to the Forum.

In the Feb.1919 Army List there is a 2/Lt A.MacDougall shown under the 4th(T)Bn Royal Scots. He is commissioned on 27 Mar.1918 and has a 'r' before his name denoting 'reserve bn.TF'. The wound stripe may have been earned prior to him being commissioned, ie. he may have served in the ranks prior to having received his commission. I cannot confirm this as I have not found an MIC for him.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Stuart

I can find several A MacDougalls in the National Archives Catalogue. If your man is the chap with 1/4th RS then he's likely to be the file reference WO374/43993.

His file would include his enlisted service and would probably fill in plenty of blanks. Unfortunately it'll require a trip to Kew.

Kind regards

Colin

• 1 year later...

And here's Geordie McCrae on left, and in your photo on the right ...

attachicon.gifGeordie.jpgattachicon.gifMcCrae etc 01.jpg

and I couldn't help adding a link to this: Scratch 1/6 bust Lt. Col. Sir George McCrae - Somme

Pals with an interest in Geordie McCrae and Hearts will likely enjoy this ...

http://youtu.be/fyoffTgMhxI

YouTube video

available on the excellent Greentrax compilation Far, Far From Ypres : http://greentrax.com/music/product/world-war-one-songs

The album also includes inter alia ..

• The Corries singing Eric Bogle's The Green Fields of France/No Man's Land
  • Eric himself singing his And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda and It's As If He Knows (about Aussie Light Horse in Palestine)
  • The McCalmans Only Remembered (used in the stage version of War Horse)
  • Dick Gaughan's Why Old Men Cry
  • and for the ageing prog-rock fans amongst us, Ian Anderson reading Great War poetry.
I can highly recommend it, so if tempted use the Amazon click through button here on the Forum