Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Lt M J Monaghan 7/Rifle Brigade 1918

Audax

On 21st March 1918 a large number of officers from 7/Rifle Bde were taken prisoner.

Where did this take place and what were the circumstances?

In which POW camp were the officers held? My reason for asking concerns 2Lt M J Monaghan. Who was released from captivity in November 1918.

His medal index card is below. Can anyone interpret this for me? It seems that M J Monaghan continued to serve after 1918 as he appears in the 1920 Army List still with the Rifle Brigade. Monaghan was commmissioned in August 1917.

Finally, can anyone confirm what his initials M.J. stand for?

Thanks

A.

post-7977-0-42086300-1360924562_thumb.jp

War Office,

28th November, 1917.

REGULAR FORCES.

The undermentioned temp. 2nd Lts.

(att'd.), unless otherwise stated, are transferred

to Serv. Bns. with seniority from

29 Aug. 1917: —

12470 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 28 NOVEMBER, 1917.

Rif. Brig.—M. J. Monaghan.

• Admin

As it looks like he was with 7RB for a while, it is probably worth getting the war diary from TNA for £3.36. The entries covering late March 1918 take up quite a few pages so it would be hard to summarise it adequately on here.

Glen

On 21st March 1918 a large number of officers from 7/Rifle Bde were taken prisoner.

Where did this take place and what were the circumstances?

Andy's :ph34r: your man for chapter and verse on this.

7/RB were in 41 Bde, 14th (Light) Division at the time. The division was holding the line south of ST QUENTIN. 14th (Light) Division divisional HQ was at CLASTRES.

I don't have the 7/RB diary and the 7/KRRC had been re-brigaded with 43 Bde (6/SLI, 9/SR and 7/KRRC) as part of the four battalion to three battalion brigade re-organisation, so that's no help.

41 Bde was 8/KRRC, 7/RB and 8/RB. Info on 8/KRRC may help with 7/RB's movements, so here goes ...

8/KRRC were in the front line around URVILLERS forming the left of the divisional frontage. A and C coys were in the actual front line, B Coy was in support along the Route National 44 and D Coy in various strongpoints in the Battle Zone around URVILLERS. Intelligence reports had arrived on 20 March that a major offensive was due to start on 21 March. The intention was to concentrate the main defensive effort on the support positions in the the Battle Zone behind the front line.

The details of what actually happened to 8/KRRC on the morning of 21 March 1918 are rather hazy. Even the War Diary sections are prefaced with "(Hearsay evidence)". Only two men escaped after the Kaiserschlacht attack opened, both from A Coy, and events were reconstructed from their reports and information sent back by letter from the officers captured. 8/KRRC were basically destroyed by the enemy attack with only details who'd been in the rear areas surviving.

It appears the battalion was outflanked by a deep enemy penetration through the 36th Division to their north.

The battalion was cut off from the transport lines and rear areas and with no possibility of reinforcement, they fought on in their designated positions until their ammunition was exhausted when those remaining had no option but surrender.

A fighting withdrawal took place with units formed ad hoc from survivors from all the battalions in the Battle Zone. The canal crossing at JUSSY (10km to SW) was defended for a while and another sucessful rearguard action took place at FLAVY-LE-MARTEL. The remnants of 8/KRRC assembled at GRANDVILLERS on 27 March when what was left of 14th (Light) Division was pulled out of the line.

The 9/KRRC war diary adds some more.

The Orbat for 14th (Light) Division at the time was ...

41 Bde - 8/KRRC, 7/RB and 8/RB

42 Bde - 5/OBLI, 9/KRRC and 9/RB

43 Bde - 6/Somerset LI, 7/KRRC and 9/Scottish Rifles

(RA, MGC, TMB etc omitted)

9/KRRC war diary states the divisional disposition was as follows.

Front Line N-S

41 Bde - 8/KRRC

42 Bde - 9/KRRC

43 Bde - 6/SLI

Support

41 Bde - no detail [edit: 7/RB - HQ and 2 coys in Railway Cutting, 1 coy at ESSIGNY and 1 coy at LA SABLIERE

42 Bde - 5/OBLI at MONTESCOURT

43 Bde - 7/KRRC at BENAY (also site of 43 Bde HQ)

Reserve

41 Bde - no detail [edit: 8/RB - position unknown]

42 Bde - 9/RB at JUSSY

43 Bde - 9/Scottish Rifles at REMIGNY

It looks like 7/RB were likely to have been in Support in the Battle Zone or in Reserve [edit: they were in fact in Support - see above]. These distinctions are largely irrelevant really though, as the enemy had penetrated right to the transport lines by the end of the day, so all units were engaged by midday.

Hope that helps until more accurate info arrives :ph34r:

[edit: many thanks to Glen (Pal SPOF) for the extra detail I've been able to add above]

As it looks like he was with 7RB for a while, it is probably worth getting the war diary from TNA for £3.36. The entries covering late March 1918 take up quite a few pages so it would be hard to summarise it adequately on here.

Glen

Be warned though, that all of the war diaries for the 14th (Light) Division units break down somewhat for 21-27 March 1918, so you may be disappointed in the amount of info you get back.

Ooooooooooooh,

This gets complicated with half companies going here there and everywhere. Let me get home and I will dig up what I have for you. But work on the Jussy Canal as to where.

Andy

OK,

Eyes down.

7th RB account.

20th March:- Battalion engaged in burying cable. Battalion occupied battle positions during the night.

21st. Enemy opened a heavy drumfire bombardment at about 4 a.m. a considerable amount of gas shells being used. From this hour onwards no communication could be established with the battalion despite repeated efforts by the 8th RB runners who were prevented by a very heavy barrage from achieving their object. Owing to the fact that no-one who was present in the battle zone with the battalion succeeded in establishing touch with the transport, it is impossible to give any lucid account of what happened in the forward zone. It is believed that the enemy penetrated the front at La Pere Aller on the left of the divisional front and worked his way down to La Manofacture Farm, whilst on the right of the Division front he penetrated as far as La Sabliere, subsequently encircling Essigny and later in the day establishing himself south of Essigny, midway between that village and Le Fay Farm. The transport received a sudden order at about 1 p.m. to move forthwith west of Jussy Canal and proceeded to Braumont - En - Beine.

Meanwhile Major N.S. Thornton collected all the 7th RB details and explained that he propsed to take up a suitable position in the vicinity and defend same as long as possible. A hasty reconnaissance revealed that no suitable position could be defended except on the West side of the Jussy Canal. The details thereupon took up position and commenced to strengthen the defences. Small bridges were demolished and No.1 bridge was prepared for destruction by the R.E. when the occasion should arise. Details of the 42nd Brigade were established on the right of the bridge No.1 at approximately M.8.c.7.5 whilst the 7th RB details, augmented by a number of stragglers held the canal from the left of bridge No.1 to approx M.8.a.0.5. Ammunition and tools were sent for which duly arrived at about 6 p.m. The details manned until relieved the following morning by the 8th RB.

2nd. The details of the battalion, numbering 4 officers and 100 other ranks and comprising of shoemakers, tailors, stormen and remnants of the battalion proceeded tp Petit Droit.

Battalion reports for 21st March total 20 officers and 525 other ranks missing. I will dig through the Division material for you, however, as Mark indicates they break down somewhat for 21st to 27th Mach period.

Andy

Many thanks to those who have responded to my questions so far. I have since found located an account of what happened in Lyn McDonald's 'To the Last Man' (1998) page 92 et seq. Any thoughts on the medal card?

Many thanks to those who have responded to my questions so far. I have since found located an account of what happened in Lyn McDonald's 'To the Last Man' (1998) page 92 et seq.

I'd be very interested in a precis if you have time.

Cheers,

Mark

Oh well, there was more to add but hey ho!!!!