Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Church Lads Brigade 16th KRRC

conijoni

In the care of the Dean and Chapter at Westminster Abbey, dedicated to the 20,000 killed from the CLB in WW1.

Another wonderful picture Johnny! Do you know what is the coat of arms top centre? Is it the arms of Westminster Abbey? And why do we have the emblem of St Catherine do you think? I assume St Peter's Crossed Keys may also be because of Westminster Abbey?

Also I can't make out the words above the image of St Martin sharing his cloak. Could you have a look for me?

IIRC the first meeting of the CLB was held on St Martin's Day, which is of course also Armistice Day, so the soldier saint would be a very appropriate choice for the CLB banner.

Just to clarify to other readers: that's 20,000 killed from the former Church Lads Brigade members across all regiments, not just the 16th (Church Lads Brigade) Btn., KRRC.

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 year later...

I was very pleased to see the St Martin's Banner, the CLB's War Memorial Banner, prominently displayed in Westminster Abbey last Sunday during the televised Battle of Britain Service. Did anyone else recognise the Banner? Johnny Conn

I was very pleased to see the St Martin's Banner, the CLB's War Memorial Banner, prominently displayed in Westminster Abbey last Sunday during the televised Battle of Britain Service. Did anyone else recognise the Banner? Johnny Conn

I was away last Sunday with no access to TV ... nor even electricity! I would very much like to have seen that.

Chers,

Mark

The coat of arms at top centre is indeed the arms of Westminster Abbbey, and as the abbey is dedicated to St Peter that might also explain the crossed keys, although that is also the arms of the Archbishop of York. The lower portion of the Abbey arms is also the arms of St Edward the Confessor, the Abbey's founder.

Ron

• 11 months later...

I had forgotten about this thread. Would just like to add that the St Martin's Banner was once again prominent in the Abbey during the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. I know that very few people would recognise it, but being a former CLB lad, I get a real feeling of pride in the Church Lads Brigade when I see it. There were 20,000 members and ex members of the CLB killed in the Great War and as many again were wounded. Over 1,000 awards for bravery were made, including 21 Victoria Crosses. This should not be forgotten.

post-7658-0-18445300-1317124071.jpg