Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walhachin British Columbia new website

John Gilinsky

http://www.walhachin.com/soldiers.htm

The above link is to a new Walhachin, British Columbia website that lists all the 97 enlistees from this small (300 residents in 1914) interior British Columbia, Canada "English" settlement or development. Unfortunately many of the names are "common" and the website does not typically give the full Christian names of middle names of the individuals. Nevertheless it is a start for researching in depth this fascinating semi-ghost town (current population estimates range from 100 to 150). The website also gives some additional information on sources, an email contact soliticing anyone who has further information on these men and bibliographical references. Walhachin had as the website proudly asserts the highest per capita enlistment for the whole country. It virtually became a ghost town due to the war. I believe that the British Columbia government placed near the Trans-Canada Highway(?) a large brass historical marker indicating this to people overlooking the bleak arid valley below. Does anyone have any photos of what became of this marker? Is it still there?

Thanks

John

Toronto

(ex-British North America)

Thanks Pete: you are quick! I think that this is indeed the marker BUT there may have been a more gound hugging earlier one or later one. Does anyhone know if this BC historical metal marker is still standing?

John

John - thanks for the link to the website. We are hoping to pass through Walhachin on our holiday in BC later this year - I found this photograph on Google Earth, so hopefully the sign is still there.

I recall reading about Walhachin having sent the highest proportion of men to the war - and of being the home town of Gordon Flowerdew VC

This is another webpage about the town -

http://www.michaelkluckner.com/bciw6walhachin.html

Alan

post-2705-1242591010.jpg

An additional reference for Walhachin generally is:

Zuehlke, Mark (yes the Canadian military historian and writer)

"Scoundrels, Dreamers & Second Sons. British Remittance Men In The Canadian West"

Vancouver, B.C.: Whitecap Books Ltd., 1994

viii, 211 pages

ISBN: 1 - 55110 - 197 - 1

Chapter 8: "Walhachin"

The book is a good read and is reasonably documented.

John

Toronto

Hullo John, yes the marker is still there, as are the ghosts described on the sign, only they are fading with time and the water flumes and few remaining stunted apple trees are more difficult to discern.

Attached is a copy I made of the table of Walhachin residents from the 1914 census, as published in Joan Weir's Walhachin- Catastrophe or Camelot.

I started researching each name through CWGC and other sources, but did not progress very far. Only Gordon Flowerdew. VC and W. S. Tennant were confirmed as casualties.

Regards, Pete S.

post-17990-1242616079.jpg

Peter: Thanks so much for posting this. Any way to enlarge or enhance your graphic file so we can make out the actual names? I think that there were about 300 residents including 105 males in the town in August 1914.

John

Hi John; Here is a 100 kb image. If not legible ,please PM me your email address and I'll send you a higher resolution file. Cheers, Pete

post-17990-1242679568.jpg

Thanks Peter. It is certainly better and is just legible. Interesting to see how many had served or were serving in the 31st. B.C. Horse or other local militia units.

John

Toronto

• 1 year later...