Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Library and Archives Canada- Changes to personnel file access????

16thBNCanScotJim

Hello all, I have noticed a change in the content of WWI personnel records for the CEF members.  My previous searches have resulted in the full personnel records in a downloadable pdf format consisting of the entire file, usually consisting of about 30 pages.   Recently however, the same searches I have done have resulted in the results including a digital file of only the first two or three pages of the Attestation papers.  My question to you my friends is; am I doing something wrong in how I am searching or has Library and Archives Canada (LAC) deleted the available documents? Is there a different way to search for the full file with contents?  I have asked the general inquiries desk at LAC but the staff appear to be quite limited in their knowledge and experience and have no insight or explanation to offer. (Forgive my judgement, as another employee of the federal public service, I see revolving doors of the service and can speak with experience)

Any one else experience this and/or any secret tricks I am missing?

Thanks

Jim

There is a third alternative

page 1

page 2

pdf fife - this looks very non descript but gives you the full onfi

34 minutes ago, 16thBNCanScotJim said:

I have noticed a change in the content of WWI personnel records for the CEF members.  My previous searches have resulted in the full personnel records in a downloadable pdf format consisting of the entire file, usually consisting of about 30 pages.   Recently however, the same searches I have done have resulted in the results including a digital file of only the first two or three pages of the Attestation papers.  My question to you my friends is; am I doing something wrong in how I am searching or has Library and Archives Canada (LAC) deleted the available documents? Is there a different way to search for the full file with contents?  I have asked the general inquiries desk at LAC but the staff appear to be quite limited in their knowledge and experience and have no insight or explanation to offer. (Forgive my judgement, as another employee of the federal public service, I see revolving doors of the service and can speak with experience)

Eeek - I think I heard rumour of something like that and would be happier to know that the current/future situation still means we can access all that we could before. ???

Of course in the past we could initially see only the front page of an Attestation but then there was a link to a full PDF available for download [I've has >80 pages in the past].

It's perhaps a tad worrying ... but then again perhaps just a change in method to get the lot ???

Following this thread with interest - and I'm going to have another look at LAC for myself right now. :unsure:

M

1 minute ago, corisande said:

pdf fife - this looks very non descript but gives you the full

The old system was pretty 'discrete' too - I'm stll going to have a look at LAC

M

I note a new LAC website seems on its way

image.png.dc944fdfe72652f9bee8233642a97913.png

image.png.5e3cece84a5cdb1b199368def66e062f.png

We might to have to create accounts with LAC [I guess like we now have to do with TNA if we wish to download a file]

But I'm currently turning up, as before, what I expected to see after a search

e.g. for Charles BROWN image.png.0cc8ec04c3666dcdfdd47a704bffd0bb.png

M

image.png

Do a search, in this example I was after Edward Brennan

this get you this page

Click on pdf and download symbol below it, and you get his full file

pdf.jpg.edc25c94d416363074101bcaa39b85db.jpg

19 minutes ago, corisande said:

this get you this page

Ooh, that's different and not seen by me so far.

What address/shortcut/bookmark did you use? Or did you start from the LAC homepage?  [I admit to having used a long ago bookmarked link up to now]

I'm off to explore again.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Right - have found what you seem to have found - the new system it seems

Go via Collection Search to First World War Personnel Records database [the latter now bookmarked!!] and take it from there.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

See my page here with screenshots that walk through the new search page and how to download the file for a CEF service record; http://www.regimentalrogue.com/misc/researching_first_world_war_soldiers_part1.htm

The old search page still works and continues to offer more flexibility using wildcard searches: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/search.aspx

Edited by regimentalrogue

41 minutes ago, regimentalrogue said:

See my page here with screenshots that walk through the new search page and how to download the file for a CEF service record; http://www.regimentalrogue.com/misc/researching_first_world_war_soldiers_part1.htm

Not seen your page before = Nice job, no doubt thanks to your more 'local' knowledge. 

42 minutes ago, regimentalrogue said:

The old search page still works and continues to offer more flexibility using wildcard searches: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/search.aspx

Agreed.

M

On 05/01/2024 at 12:19, corisande said:

this get you this page

Thank-you…. Forest for the trees situation for me.

11 hours ago, regimentalrogue said:

Thanks!!!