Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The two (Essex & Suffolk RGA?) soldier's caps and 'simplified' SD imply early in the war.  A lot of National resources and so-called key points were guarded by troops against the fear of 'saboteurs' during 1914-15 and I suspect that is what we see here.  Perhaps Suffolk barns full of foodstuffs?  As to the rifles, forum members know well how many foreign long arms were brought into service as a stopgap in the early days.

Any idea of the Danish connection with the Suffolk latch, British troops and French/German equipment?   Both cards have "Brevkort" printed on the back!

6 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

The pouches look German to me, so I wonder if these two jokers are posing with a bit of gash German kit they've found (in the shed ...)?

They are British 1903 Bandolier equipment:

http://www.karkeeweb.com/1903main.html

2 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

They are British 1903 Bandolier equipment:

http://www.karkeeweb.com/1903main.html

Yes, the waist belt ammunition pouches were common in 'guard order' for non-regular troops.

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Any idea of the Danish connection with the Suffolk latch, British troops and French/German equipment?   Both cards have "Brevkort" printed on the back!

I can only imagine that they are commercial post cards of a curiousity nature, although I agree it seems odd 

If these 'stable-door' photos are considered early war-time, then they must be extremely rare, to show the Gewehr 88 in regular British service. The only possible source for these rifles I suspect, is via rifles which were captured/confiscated/donated from the UVF in 1914. Others will know more on this, however this type of rifle featured on the list of weapons which were imported/smuggled in from arms-dealers in Germany prior to the war. These weapons were surplus German service rifles which were purchased on the open market by the Irish or their supporters.

44 minutes ago, shippingsteel said:

If these 'stable-door' photos are considered early war-time, then they must be extremely rare, to show the Gewehr 88 in regular British service. The only possible source for these rifles I suspect, is via rifles which were captured/confiscated/donated from the UVF in 1914. Others will know more on this, however this type of rifle featured on the list of weapons which were imported/smuggled in from arms-dealers in Germany prior to the war. These weapons were surplus German service rifles which were purchased on the open market by the Irish or their supporters.

That makes a lot of sense SS, and my guess would be that they did indeed come come from the UVF, via the influence of Carson.

Edited by FROGSMILE

R.G.A. group. 

Cloth shoulder titles, fantastic moustaches and a wide range of headgear.

Scan_20170103 (7).jpg

K- R.H.A. Limber Gunners.   

" Dear Bill, What do you think of this lot? Funny but always on the pull, in the dark, every night. Me & Black "

Scan_20170103 (10).jpg

Any ideas on this chap would be welcome. The back of the card is blank.

Scan_20170208.jpg

Scan_20170208 (3).jpg

6 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

They may even be Norwegian (or indeed Swedish). Same word applies as far as I know. The modern Danish term would be "postkort". 

Edited by Beechhill

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

R.G.A. group. 

Cloth shoulder titles, fantastic moustaches and a wide range of headgear.

Scan_20170103 (7).jpg

Various uniform styles place this pre GW, the Brodricks, the cloth titles, the woven shoulder straps in some cases. I haven't seen those badgeless, chin strapless caps before though.

How so certain that they are RGA ?

If those are artillery badges on the Brodrick caps, then to my eyes the shape looks a bit odd, and I can't see the upper "Ubique" scroll. Could they be Royal Malta Artillery ?

Sailor sitting fourth from left: at one point I thought I could make out the word "Royal" on the cap tally. The last letter ended up more or less central, so there would be a second word - e.g. Royal Arthur ?

8 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Any ideas on this chap would be welcome. The back of the card is blank.

I believe this card shows an individual who is involved with the Imperial German railway administration. The collar badge depicts a Steam Locomotive. I have seen this badge before in one of the German Uniform threads. I think it may have been 4thG's postcard and that chap was wearing his cap which was identifiable as German. I will have to see if I can track it down. 

PS. Okay I found that photo on page 4 of 4thG's thread but it is a different collar badge. That one shows a "winged railway wheel" but he is obviously from a different branch of the railway administration.

I did find the Locomotive badge from the later WW2 period which is similar in appearance. This indicated a person involved with Locomotive operation, such as a Driver or Fireman. That's all I've got ...

Edited by shippingsteel

Removable shoulder straps, too, I'd say in the front row.

9 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

K- R.H.A. Limber Gunners.   

" Dear Bill, What do you think of this lot? Funny but always on the pull, in the dark, every night. Me & Black "

Scan_20170103 (10).jpg

Annual summer firing camp. Probably somewhere like Chapperton Down, on Salisbury Plain.  It was very typical for soldiers to wear the issued white canvas shoes and shirtsleeves when stood down from parade.

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Removable shoulder straps, too, I'd say in the front row.

Yes I think it shows the transitional period Steven, which should help to date the photo.  The barrack blocks in the background remind me of Stonehouse barracks and Gosport.

51 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Annual summer firing camp. Probably somewhere like Chapperton Down, on Salisbury Plain.  It was very typical for soldiers to wear the issued white canvas shoes and shirtsleeves when stood down from parade.

Spot on FROGSMILE, I forgot to add, Shrewton Photographer.  Wiltshire

9 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Various uniform styles place this pre GW, the Brodricks, the cloth titles, the woven shoulder straps in some cases. I haven't seen those badgeless, chin strapless caps before though.

If those are artillery badges on the Brodrick caps, then to my eyes the shape looks a bit odd, and I can't see the upper "Ubique" scroll. Could they be Royal Malta Artillery ?

Sailor sitting fourth from left: at one point I thought I could make out the word "Royal" on the cap tally. The last letter ended up more or less central, so there would be a second word - e.g. Royal Arthur ?

Hi S.D.  Very certain they are R.G.A.  The shoulder straps for the Serjeant and the chap over his right shoulder are readable with a loupe. The badge is ok to me, just light play I think. As for the "Sailor": the second word on his cap tally seems to read "Artillery".

Scan_20170103 (14).jpg

Scan_20170103 (15).jpg

Scan_20170103 (16).jpg

Scan_20170103 (17).jpg

3 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

I believe this card shows an individual who is involved with the Imperial German railway administration. The collar badge depicts a Steam Locomotive. I have seen this badge before in one of the German Uniform threads. I think it may have been 4thG's postcard and that chap was wearing his cap which was identifiable as German. I will have to see if I can track it down. 

PS. Okay I found that photo on page 4 of 4thG's thread but it is a different collar badge. That one shows a "winged railway wheel" but he is obviously from a different branch of the railway administration.

I did find the Locomotive badge from the later WW2 period which is similar in appearance. This indicated a person involved with Locomotive operation, such as a Driver or Fireman. That's all I've got ...

Many thanks S.S. Interesting to see the "winged railway wheel" looks like the later "Motor Coach Service" collar badge.

11 hours ago, Beechhill said:

They may even be Norwegian (or indeed Swedish). Same word applies as far as I know. The modern Danish term would be "postkort". 

Thanks. I missed your post. 

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

4308 .......... surely a photo taken as the "just issued" and so-far badgeless SD caps were tried on? Several look ill at ease under the new lid.

One disappearing completely. 

On 18 February 2017 at 01:08, Stoppage Drill said:

I think they might be at Shoeburyness when it was the School of Artillery, part of the RA staff there were issued with naval dress including caps, jumpers (Ganseys) and blue pea coats.  They were responsible for safety when the guns practice fired out to sea, and they crewed a fleet of small boats.

If you look closely at the seemingly peaked caps (especially the enlarged image), you will see that they are actually the rarely seen drab covers fitted over Brodrick universal forage caps. Notice the smooth texture, the creases, the folding under the top edge of the cap and absence of chin straps and buttons. This photo is extremely interesting and rare in several respects.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Forumites reading this might be interested in a FB page, "British Army and Navy 1898-1914" from where, I am not at all ashamed to say, my recognition of the detachable shoulder straps was gleaned.

9 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

4308 .......... surely a photo taken as the "just issued" and so-far badgeless SD caps were tried on? Several look ill at ease under the new lid.

They are drab, Brodrick cap covers.