Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King George Decorates American

IPT

I think that the date may be 12 August 1918 and the King is decorating a member of the 33rd US Division with a British medal for bravery during the attack at Hamel on 4 July 1918.

Charles M

Thanks Charles.

Armed with that info, I found this;

imag0983.jpg

Pvt Harry Shelley, Co A, US 132nd Infantry, 33rd Division receiving British Distinguished Conduct Medal from King George V

He was also awarded the American DSC (second only to the Medal of Honor).

Chris

SHELLY, HARRY

Private, U.S. Army

Company A, 132d Infantry Regiment, 33d Division, A.E.F.

Date of Action: July 4, 1918

Citation:

The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Harry Shelly, Private, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Hamel, Belgium, July 4, 1918. With an Australian soldier, Private Shelly went out and silenced an enemy sniping post and brought back eight prisoners.

General Orders No. 44, W.D., 1919

Home Town: Chicago, IL

He was also awarded the American DSC (second only to the Medal of Honor).

Which accords with the DCM being second only to the Victoria Cross.

According to the Chicago Daily Tribune of August 14th 1918 he was awarded the DCM for the following action - 'Private Shelly, with one Australian, captured an enemy sniping post and eight prisoners'. The same act for which he was awarded the United States DSC.

Aled

I am researching and writing a book about the battle at Le Hamel on 4th July 1918. I am very keen to find out any further information and photos relating to American infantrymen who served with the 33rd Division, especially Private Shelly and the other recipients of the Distinguished Service Cross.

If you are related to any of the listed men, or have photos or information please contact me at paul.kendall193@btinternet.com

I am very keen to include as many American, Australian and British soldiers in this book to pay tribute to what they did at Le Hamel on Independence Day 1918.

Corporal John De Smidt 1390996, Company G, 132nd Infantry, 33rd Division

Place of Birth: Chicago, Illinois

Residence: Chicago, Illinois

Awarded Distinguished Service Cross for Hamel, 4th July 1918

Citation: With the assistance of an Australian solder, Corporal de Smidt crept up on an enemy machine gun, captured the gun, and forced the creww to carry it back to our lines

1st Lieutenant Albert G Jefferson 131st Infantry, 33rd Division

Place of Birth: Reed City, Michigan

Citation: After severely being wounded in the breast and shoulder from shellfire he continued with and commanded his platoon until its final objective was reached and its consolidation completed.

Private Christopher W Keane 1388750, Medical Detachment 131st Infantry, 33rd Division

Citation: throughout the engagement he displayed great gallantry and devotion to duty by treating the wounded in an area swept by machine gun fire and artillery fire.. When two stretcher bearers who were working with him were killed he impressed German prisoners into the service of carrying wounded to the aid station.

Sergeant Frank A Koijane 1389510, G Company, 132nd Infantry, 33rd Division

Citation: While digging in at his final objective he came under fire from a hostile machine gun in the sunken road 200 yards to the right front. With Lieutenant Yagle and two Australian soldiers, he rushed the position and captured the gun and 8 prisoners.

Sergeant James Edward Krum 1387247 E Company 131st Regiment, 33rd Division

Citation: Although severely wounded in the right arm at the beginning of the engagement, he continued forward as squad leader, exhibiting great gallantry and setting an inspiring example to his men. After his wound had been dressed he insisted upon returning to duty with his platoon.

Private William F Linskey 1387408, E Company, 131st Regiment, 33rd Division

Citation: He was severely wounded in the right arm by shrapnel at the beginning of the battle. Nevertheless he carried his automatic rifle forward and used it effectively in the assault on the village

Posthumously awarded. Medal presented to father., Patrick Linskey.

Corporal Albert C Painsipp 1390422, A Company, 132nd Regiment, 33rd Division

Place of Birth: Austria

Residence: Batavia, Illinois

Citation: Single handed he attacked a German machine gun emplacement. Although wounded in the leg, when a machine gun was trained upon him, he boldly attacked it with hand grenades and drove off the crew.

Corporal Andrew C Schabinger 1387453, E Company, 131st Regiment, 33rd Division

Citation: Although severely wounded in the arm at the beginning of the engagement, he continued forward as squad leader, exhibiting great gallantry and setting an inspiring example to his men.

Private Harry Shelly 1390351, A Company, 132nd Regiment, 33rd Division

Citation: With an Australian soldier, private Shelly went out and silenced an enemy sniping post and brought back 8 prisoners.

Corporal Lester C Whitson 1387285, E Company, 131st Regiment, 33rd Division

Citation: Although severely wounded in the shoulder at the beginning of the engagement, he continue forward as squad leader, exhibiting great gallantry and setting an inspiring example to his men.

Posthumously awarded. Medal presented to his mother, Mrs. Emma Whitson.

2nd Lieutenant Harry Yagle, 131st Infantry Regiment, 33rd Division

Place of Birth: Dundee, Illinois

Residence: Dundee, Illinois

Citation: While digging in at his final objective, he came under fire from a hostile machine gun in a sunken road 200 yards to the right front. With Sergeant Koijane and 2 Australian soldiers, he rushed the position and captured the gun and 8 prisoners.

If you are related to any indiviuals who took part in the battle of le Hamel on 4th July 1918, I would be very keen to hear from you.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards

Paul Kendall

paul.kendall193@btinternet.com

Paul

I have a copy of the 131st Regiment's history written by its CO and published in 1919. If you have not already looked at it I could check on what information it has on those decorated for the Hamel action.

Charles M

Charles,

Many thanks for your response. I was nor aware that the CO wrote the unit history of the 131st Regiment. I would be very grateful if there are any further details relating to these men. I will try and purchase a copy of this book.

Many thanks

Paul

PS I have a copy of your book 'Terriers in the Trenches' and I think it is a fitting tribute to the men who served with the Post Office Rifles during World War One.

• 4 months later...

On the internet (oldpicture.com) I've found the following photo :

King-George.jpg

But can anyone please tell me :

a. when and where this photo was taken ?

b. who the American soldier is ?

c. which reward he's receiving from the British King George ?

Would they have commonly carried the SMLE?

It's a photo (one of 2 famous ones) of 1390351 Pvt Harry Shelly (of Chicago,Illinois), Co A, 132nd Infantry Regiment, 33rd (US) Division receiving the DCM in August 1918 for actions at Hamel on July 4th (he also recieved the (US) DSC for the same action...for extraordinary heroism in action near Hamel, July 4, 1918. With an Australian soldier, Private Shelly went out and silenced an enemy sniping post and brought back eight prisoners

...).

Yes...they did have SMLE's (some also had British tunics).

Dave

I think there was a long topic on this photo recently, but I can't find it now.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...3&hl=shelly