Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yougest Soldier to be kia ww1 name please

marine pete

Believed to be John Condon aged 14.

Any particular reason why?

I think there is now very convincing evidence that Condon was actually something like 19 (and is probably not in the grave that carries his headstone - but that's another story).

A quick use of the Forum's search facility (and a Google) suggests there isnt a generally agreed "new youngest". Many of the other likely ones seem to have doubts about their age.

CWGC records Valentine Joe Strudwick, aged 15, as "one of the youngest".

John

Lochnagar 1st July 2006 I took a photo of a wreath laid on behalf of Simon Langton School Canterbury dedicated to Pte Reginald Giles 1st Batt Gloucester Regt kia 20-8-1916 Age 14 years (CWGC has him as 19). Ralph.

There are various threads about Reginald Giles on the forum.

CWGC did originally have him as 14 but this has been proved to be wrong and hence corrected to 19

The 2007 service at Lognagar did give his correct age as 19

Regards

Pam

Even the ones who are proved to be a certain age (birth cert) can be given a higher age.

25793 Private James Walters, 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters (attached to South Staffs) is shown as 17 Years of age on his headstone at Delville Wood. He was actually 16 and had joined up aged 15 years, serving on Gallipoli with the 9th Bn SF.

James's Mum like so many others was in the process of getting him out of the army when he was killed.

I suppose the only way to decide for sure is by getting every birth certificate for every young soldier.

sm

ps I should point out that the CWGC do know about James's age and the headstone will be changed at some point.

This boy's age is allegedly proved beyond dispute.

Name: ROSS, DAVID S. U.

Initials: D S U

Nationality: South African

Regiment/Service: South African Infantry

Unit Text: 2nd Regt.

Date of Death: 25/03/1918

Service No: 11322

Additional information: Son of Mr. C. G. and Mrs. S. J. Ross, of Room 15, 218, Arcida Mansions, Johannesburg. At 14 years and 3 months, Pte. Ross is one of the youngest soldiers killed in the 1914-1918 war.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 3.

Cemetery: HEUDICOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY