Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British West Indies Regt

Guest gen_wizard

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

As some of you know by know i'm researching the great war dead of the town i live in. I have one young man here that is trying his best to evade me.

His name is Private Austin, Douglas I. He was member of the 8th Bn British West Indies Regt, sevice number CJ/9836 died 09/01/1918 and is buried in St Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen.

I can't find out anything about his Regt or what battles he may of been involved in. Does anyone have any idea of where i can look? Where would i find his service records?

Thanks for any help on this one

Mike

as far as I am aware there are no srvice records for many of the BWIR.

I was looking for Herbert Morris of the 2nd Battn, there are sites go to google and type in the British West Indies Regt, and see... I have a name that I will send you off forum who runs one of the sites.

Can you email me off forum and I will send you his name and email...

John

Mike

The 8th Battalion BWIR were used as a Labour Battalion and, as far as I am aware, never used as a fighting unit as such.

However that does not mean they were not working within the range of German guns. In fact during September and October 1917 whilst working in X Corps area I have seen three references to members of the Battalion being killed and wounded.

28 September - 4 killed and 11 wounded

15 October - 2 killed and 14 wounded

30 October 2 killed and 3 wounded

According to my notes the Battalion moved by rail from POPERINGHE to ROUEN on 17 December 1917. My next reference is for the 10 January 1918 when they moved from ROUEN to TARANTO via MARSEILLES.

So it looks as if they were beng employed in Rouen at the time of his death.

as far as I am aware there are no srvice records for many of the BWIR.

That's not strictly true, as I have found a few at Kew. I have never looked for Morris', so can't comment on that one.

Guest gen_wizard

Hi John,

I'll email you as soon as i have finished checking for imfo. Thanks for your help so far.

Ivor,

Many thanks for the imformation that you have given me. Igather that they were used to dig trenches and other labour intense jobs, so i guess they would be standing out in the open and easily seen by German observers. Am i right in saying that only black men served in the Regt, except for officers that were white? Again many thanks to all that have helped.

Regards

Mike

Mike

As far as I am aware you are correct that the ORs were all Black.

You are quite right about working parties in danger of being seen by German observers.

In particularly dangerous areas it was also common for working parties on roads etc to work at night and often the Germans would shell a likely area.