Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Picture for Comment

Buz

Gents

A Picture which I recently picked up. Wondering if anyone can add additional detail for it. Picture is of a 26Sqdn aircraft in Africa

Thanks for your help

Buz

post-35169-1213157460.jpg

Buz

I'll start by saying that they're two BE 2c aeroplanes, early in the War, as evidenced by the Union flag on the rudder of the nearer machine. This marking was used before the days of standard roundels and rudder stripes, so I'd guess that it's early 1915.

One of the men behind the tail of the near aeroplane appears to be wearing a Royal Flying Corps cap, so it's probably a photograph of RFC machines, rather than those from the Royal Naval Air Service.

Cheers

Gareth

Buz, Are you sure you have the correct details for this photograph? As Gareth mentioned, use of the Union Jack on British aircraft rudders was only used in the early days of the war and was officially discontinued in May 1915. However, Number 26 squadron was not formed until October 1915 and did not arrive in Africa (Mombasa) until late January 1916.

Steve

As well as the Union flag on the rudder roundels can be seen on the wings. These are possibly aircraft that have been redoped and roundels added but no one's bothered to re do the rudder on the one we can see (or it could be a replacement canabalised from an unservicable aircraft that wasn't de doped). It could therefore be post 1915.

Buz, Are you sure you have the correct details for this photograph? As Gareth mentioned, use of the Union Jack on British aircraft rudders was only used in the early days of the war and was officially discontinued in May 1915. However, Number 26 squadron was not formed until October 1915 and did not arrive in Africa (Mombasa) until late January 1916.

Steve

Hi Steve

I obtained the photos from an Album that I purchased on 26Sqdn. It had 3 WW1 photos in it showing these aircraft as well as single Be2b running up and a Farman surrounded by a likely looking bunch of lads. The remainder of the album showed 26Sqdn types for WW2 as well as 125Wg aircraft later in the war (amoungst other items).

Not willing to remove the photos from the album to see if anything is written on the back of them (don't want to destroy it at all)

Buz