Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd battalion grenadier guards

andrew wilbraham

Hi Andrew

None so far I'm afraid. You can see the advert I placed if you go to www.speedbid.com - the 'wanted' adverts can be accessed by clicking on one of the links on the left hand side of the page.

Will keep you posted.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

i would be very grateful if anyone else had any information on the 2nd battalion of the grenadier gaurds movements during 1918 to assist me with my research into my gret grandfathers last months of the war.

andrew

Hi Andrew

I have a copy of Ponsonby's - what kind of detail do you need to know?

I've yet to hear anything from the Speedbid site about your great-grandfather's medals.......

Ed

Ed,

Just reding through this thread, try placing your wants on medalfinder.com, it tries to re-unite medals, or medaltracker.com. Best of luck

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for that. I advertised on SPEEDBID as I note from my database that Andrew's great-grandfather's medals were sold on there last year. However, I will certainly try medalfinder / tracker if my current ad doesn't turn anything up!

Cheers

Ed

hi,

thanks to you boyh very much, ed i am interested in the aug/september period of 1918 as i am doing a kind of topography/field work of his last few months on the somme for part of my dissertation, any help would be gratefully received. thanks again for all your help.

andrew

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

i have hit a dilema how on earth does one know when the wounds that my gretfather died of were obtained? im pretty sure if they were in battle they would have been from havrincourt area as this happened on around the time of his subsequent death 1918. but for all i know he could have been wounded before this action and laid up for months before he died of his wounds. does anyone have any advice of where to go from here? i am going out to the havrincourt area on tuesday 13th april to have a look around but i can't be certain he was ever there!!

regards

andrew

Andrew

As your great-grandfather is still buried in France, it's unlikely that he would have been wounded months before - more likely days. It's probably safe to say that he was wounded in the action around Havrincourt.

As a matter of interest, my great-great-Uncle is buried in the Guards Grave at Villers-Cotteretts. He died from his wounds almost two weeks after the action there albeit as a "prisoner" of the Germans.

Ed

ed,

i am going out to the battlefields tomorrow( tuesday) so i will certainly have a look around the havrincourt area but do you know of any specific places or landmarks where the gaurds were fighting! it would be great to think i was actually present in the area where my great grand father was with many of his brave pals.

andrew

hi,

just returned from the havrincourt area of the 1918 battlefields and it appears that there are three other grenadier gaurds who were killed in action at havrincourt as they are buried in the cemetary just behind havrincourt wood. they died on the same day as my gret grandfather so i assume he would have been fighting alongside them.

andrew