Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Soldier

Simon_Fielding

Another one from the collection - totally blank apart from image.

Looks proud doesn't he? Hope he made it back...

Smon

post-1-1076964669.jpg

What do you reckon to age? I'd say he was about 18?

Simon

Simon

Not so sure about the Seaforth identification !

Undoubtedly the white stripe in the MacKenzie tartan does show up very well in photographs of this vintage but then so does the Forbes white stripe. If the tartan is Forbes the lad would be Liverpool Scottish who did wear the Glengarry. Unfortunatel the photo is of suchg high quality that it is possible to see that the "base" weave of probably blue/green/black doesn't match either tartan.

A further point of doubt is his puttees and hose garters. I think a Seaforth would have worn short puttees and the garter hose is somewhat similar to that of the Gordons being belled at the top. In fact, if it weren't for the tartan I would have plumped for Gordon Highlander. (The Gordon yellow stripe hardly ever shows on old photos)

I attach a sketch, sent to me by Mike Chappell (Osprey), showing the distinctive Gordon hose garter and that of the rest of the Highland Regiments. He states the Gordons were the only Highlanders to wear puttees wound right up the leg.

I apologise for muddying the waters so much !

post-1-1077146693.jpg

I took a shot in the dark and looked up the medal index using the No. on the photo and the Regiment and came up with........ 6338 Private William Aitken of the 2nd Btn. Seaforth Highlanders. It looks as though he may have made it as there is no mention of him on the CWGC site.

Too good to be coincidence do you think?

darkisland

A further point of doubt is his puttees and hose garters. I think a Seaforth would have worn short puttees and the garter hose is somewhat similar to that of the Gordons being belled at the top. In fact, if it weren't for the tartan I would have plumped for Gordon Highlander. (The Gordon yellow stripe hardly ever shows on old photos)

!

Jim

Like you I've only ever seen Gordons wear their puttees like this with the kilt, but I'd have to say from the badge and the kilt that the man was a Seaforth. Another clue is the distinctive garter. Pre-war the Seaforths wore the garter in that fashion with a bow and both ends folded together one on top of the other rather than side by side. (does that make sense?)

Perhaps he had recently transferred to the Seaforths from a Gordon's unit that wore their puttes in that fashion?

Sorry to disgaree with you again, maybe one day we'll agree on a regiment in a photo!

Cheers

Adam

Adam

No need for apologies. always willing to learn. Certainly the lad is not a Gordon and from wha one can make out of the badge, and the fact that tha white stripe shows up so clearly, would point to a Seaforth (other than 5th Battalion?). But I still think the details of the "base tartan would show some trace of the Red Stripe. While the Gordon yellow does not show up I have some photos in which a greyish stripe is visible just where the yellow would have been.

I did not know of the Seaforth fashion of wearing Garter Hose Flashes.

Nice to have been in contact with you again. Caber Fheid,Cuidch'n Righ and Sans Peur and all that ?

Regards

Jim Gordon