Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Notes on War Diaries

stiletto_33853

Whilst going through one of the War Diaries at Kew last week I came across a double sided A5 piece of paper titled:-

Confidential

Notes on War Diaries

Paras 1 to 8 by Captain C.T. Atkinson, employed under Historical Section of Committee of Imperial Defence.

Para 9 by Director of Military Training.

Although undated I wondered if anyone can tell me where this comes from and is there more of it??

Andy

Atkinson was one of the authors of the Official histories, which were written under the control/remit of the Historical sction of committee of imperial defence.

Whilst going through the war diaries of medical units, I have found quite a few "precis" and notes by people working on the official history. Proving quite useful!

Regards

Ali

PS You must read Andrew Green's book on writing the official histories- I think you'd find it interesting.

PPS. Atkinson wrote quite a few divisional and regimental histories

Thanks Ali,

Should have known and given you a ring on this. Knew Atkinson's roll but I have never come across this before which makes interesting reading. Andrew Green's book is one that I must read, had it ordered some time ago but the order got cancelled for some reason, just need to find more room for all the books :D

Andy

There is an article "Some Rambling Notes on War Diaries" in The Army Quarterly, 1924-25, Vol 9, pp 141-145. No author is given but it would appear to have been someone is the Historical section. Wonder if what you found is related?

Charles,

Be interesting to see if it is. I have sent you a copy.

Andy