Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Barry and the Two World Wars'

Ferguson73uk

An early 'heads up' to all Pals.

As a follow up to our 'Barry and the Great War' Exhibition last November, which attracted 2,300 visitors, we're organising an expanded fundraiser for the upkeep of the local war memorial on Saturday 22nd November 2008 at the Main Hall of Barry Memorial Hall, Vale of Glamorgan.

All WFA colleagues and Forum Pals have agreed to try and be there again, plus several more volunteer exhibitors and re-enactors.

Owing to the larger venue we're covering the 'other conflict' as well this year but will have lots of Great War interest, so if you're in the area please pop along and support us. I can promise you a good day out!

Jonathan

• 4 months later...

Lets bring this to the top . I will be there and will be bringing my Pattern 1913 genuine Vickers bayonet to show the exhibitors!! see if they have one :P . Also if I havnt sold it my Normandie Cammo Luft Stalhelm. IS there going to be a GWF table so we can meet up ?

Just realised I dont know what time. So Jonathen details please. Gareth

Doc

yep a few forum members i know will be there myself , croonaert ,garron, john reid, hoprfully some of the de diggers, adrian who sculpted tommy . So there will be a few of us there

see attatched info re the event

Welcome to the November update on the Barry Exhibition. Just three weeks to go now and I hope your plans for your display are progressing well. Posters are appearing in shop windows in the Vale and the local press will be running advance publicity, starting tomorrow. If you need any posters to publicise the event in your area please let me know.

I have met with Kate to discuss the final arrangements and I can confirm that we have Friday 11a.m. to 5 p.m. to set up, plus we can have access to the Hall from 8 a.m. on the Saturday (doors open at 10.30 a.m.).

You will notice from the attachment that Viv Corbin, Dave Vanner and Robert Colley have kindly agreed to join us with their period vehicles. These will be situated with the military vehicles in the car park at the rear of the building. Owing to Health and Safety concerns, the main entrance for visitors will be at the rear of the building (the same as last year) so they can see the vehicles before they come in. (The Hall of Memory will still be open so that visitors can see what the fundraising is all about).

You may have been following the series 'The Coal House at War'. There is the strong possibility of the BBC filming the cast at the exhibition.

If you have any last minute concerns, or need any extra display boards, please telephone me on the number at the bottom of the attachment.

Regards,

Jonathan

'Barry and the Two World Wars'

An exhibition at Barry Memorial Hall

Saturday 22nd November 2008

• 3 weeks later...

Just a couple of days to go now so a reminder to all Pals who live in the South Wales area to come along and support us. The money raised goes towards our local Roll of Honour boards and Cenotaph.

Two floors of exhibits and talks so it should be a great day!

Regards,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry that I will not be able to make it again this year after helping you with the RB men, Ypres calls again.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd let the Pals know we raised over £1,000 for the upkeep of our Roll of Honour Boards and Cenotaph.

Fantastic day - lots of wonderful stories from veterans of later wars, and several very emotional relations of the fallen.

Thanks to Bruce (Tafski) and Dave Croonaert and their mates for an excellent contribution!

Jonathan