Educated at St. Peter's College, Radley from 1887 to 1890

Commissioned 1st October 1893 Highland Light Infantry

Lieutenant 7th May 1896

Appointed Indian army 3rd October 1897 and the 19th Bengal Lancers

Captain 21st October 1902

Specially nominated to Quetta Staff College in 1910

Major 21st October 1911

Graduated from the Staff College, Quetta in May 1912

On leave, out of India with a medical certificate for twenty months from 19th April 1913

Died 10th February 1915 West Runton, Norfolk (or London?)

Not on the CWGC, but I think he should.

He was carried on the active list (still listed with the 19th Lancers in the January 1915 Indian Army List thus), although he was at home on a medical certificate when war broke out and alas looks to have died from what ever forced him on a medical certifiicate. His death is recorded in the Monthly Army List.

How do I get hold of his Death Certificate? I have never done this before.

With him being away from his regiment when war broke out I suspect he was forgotten about and died in obscurity and was missed off by clerks dealing with the flow of deaths from France.

Matthew

try writing a letter to the india and oriental collection courtesy the british libary in london as they may have something on him.

Died 10th February 1915 West Runton, Norfolk (or London?)

Matthew.

Just confirming it was Norfolk (from his death notice in The Times). No additional details.

regards,

Martin

Sue,

Many thanks - I have ordered the Death Certificate so we will just have to see.

How did you know all this?

Regards,

Matthew

Folks

I will now knock him off my list as one of those for me to research - thanks very much - looks like another one in from the cold

Chris

Chris,

I had a friend if mine have a look in West Runton Churchyard for me (he was over that way bird watching) but did not find him - do you know where he is commemorated? What list of yours did he appear on for you to want to check him out?

Cheers,

Matthew

Matthew

His name I picked as non commemorated from his Death Notice in the Times

Chris

Right Folks,

Just got his death certificate - here are the details:

1) When and where died:

Tenth February 1915 St Aeliers Runton R D

2) Name and surname:

Charles Robertson

3) Sex:

Male

4) Age:

5) Occupation:

Major 19th Bengal Lancers

6) Cause of death:

1. Duodenal Ulcer

2. Perforation – Operation Peritonitis

Certified by G. E. Linnell M.B.

7) Signature, description and residence of informant:

G. A. Robertson

Brother

In attendance

Little Wittenham

Abingdon

8) When registered:

Twelfth February 1915

9)Signature of registrar:

Harry Buxton

Now what? As I said before he was on the active list, though on medical certificate when he died.

Matthew

you will need to forward the DC & any other relevant documents to Terry Denham for him to submit to the CWGC

Chris

• 4 months later...

Matthew

did you take this one any further

Chris

Chris,

Yet Another old thread which needs looking at! You know it was young Neil (Shropshiremad) who first drew my attention to the fact that there were outstanding threads in need of an update and follow up. You know that Neil's a smashing lad :D

If I were you Chris, I'd PM Matthew and ask if he has submited yet. If not ask him nicely to give you the DC and do it yourself. I'm sure Matthew will understand. It doesn't really matter who submits it providing it is submited.

As far as I'm concerned I will leave the Times Archives well alone - thats your little baby Chris :P

NOT ONE WILL SLIP THROUGH OUR NET! :o

Neil

Matthew is still dealing with the case

Chris

• 1 year later...

Matthew

will you submitting this case; if not I will get IFCP to deal with it

Chris

Sorry Matthew the cut off point has arrived

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but I have not been on the forum as such since I moved to Canada.

One differemce now though - I have a Scanner and can produced PDF's - can I supply the DC and other documents this way?

Thanks

Matthew

Matthew

Terry has already ordered the DC; if you have any other relevant docs then please e mail them to him

Chris

• 9 months later...

Chris,

I would just like to congratulate you on getting Major Roberstson added to Brookwood Memorial. I am sorry I was not able to follow through on him myself.

I have not been on site for a long time hence my reply now.

Matthew

Matthew

Yes it was a good result & thanks for your input into the case. Sadly I was unable to find a grave

Chris

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post, but the grave of Major Charles Robertson is still visible, (just), in the churchyard of Holy Trinity, West Runton - I saw it only yesterday. The lettering is rather faded - I must admit it was the word Bengal that caught me eye but as I couldn't make out the date of death I did a quick google search and ended up here :-)

18772775510_17db5d44ef.jpgMajor Charles Robertson 19th Bengal Lancers 1915 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

To find it go the churchyard on the far side of the church - its in amongst a group of headstones just past the tower end of the church near the top flint wall, currently near a big patch of stinging nettles. I was working systematically through the churchyard as part of the background to researching the names on the War Memorial so looking at the order in which I took pictures, it was near John Robert Lines died March 26th 1918, (other names on the headstone includes Robert Henry Lines who fell at Gallipoli August 12th 1915) and Amanda, wife of Arthur Bird, (also on the headstone are their four sons who gave their lives in the Great War - Arthur, Horace, Clifford and Royden). Down the hill about 20 feet away are the two standard CWGC headstones in this cemetery.

Few more details - the baptism of a Charles Robertson who had been born on the 14th April 1874 took place at Nynee Tal, Bengal. If its the same individual then his father, James Casamaijor (JC) Robertson may well have worked for the Indian Civil Service, (ICS).

The Radley College Register has him down as leaving to join the 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry, who were out in India at that time.

The probate register for 1915 records him living at St Heliers, West Runton, (I assume that's a typo on the Death Certificate reply above). Administration of his estate was awarded to his widow, Lilian Beatrice Robertson.

Should he be recorded at Brookwood, or would the Commission be able to take over support for the headstone?

regards,

Peter

Peter,

Thank you very much for posting this! It's great to finally knows where Major Robertson finally lies.

As to your questions on his identity here some info from my research :

Major Charles Robertson, psc, 19th Lancers

Born 14th April 1874 at Nani Tal in India, son of James Casamajor Robertson, ICS

Educated at St. Peter's College, Radley from 1887 to 1890

Admitted to the Royal Military College, Sandhurst September 1892 and passed out in August 1893.

Commissioned 21st October 1893 – Highland Light Infantry (2nd battalion?)

Lieutenant 7th May 1896

Appointed Indian Army 3rd October 1897 and the 19th Bengal Lancers

Captain 21st October 1902

Specially nominated to Quetta Staff College in 1910

Major 21st October 1911

Graduated from the Staff College, Quetta in May 1912

On leave, out of India with a medical certificate for twenty months from 19th April 1913

Married to Lilian Beatrice Lee 3rd June 1914 at Christ Church, Gypsy Hill, Surrey

The rest we know.

Matthew

Nice one Peter

I will get in touch with Norfolk Archives

Chris

Burial register at Norfolk Archives. Will get this ordered & this should settle the matter.

Chris

We now have the burial register so this will now be reported to CWGC

Chris

Would like to thank Peter for his input on this case which has resulted in another name to be removed from Brookwood 1914-18 Memorial.

Chris