Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital Blues

deano

Hi all,

were 'blues' worn in hospitals abroad or just here in the Uk hospitals?

regards

Dean.

Dean

Yes, they were worn abroad, but overseas more men would have been seriously ill and confined to bed, and therefore in gowns/pyjamas. More convalescent men in the UK would result in more images of blues in photos of home hospitals.

Sue

A suplementary - some overseas hospitals were in places where it gets seriously hot in the summer. Was there a tropical version of hospital blues?

Sue, thank you for your answer.

It's just i have a photo of a soldier that was shot in the back about Dec 14/Jan/Feb 1915, i was told by survivng relatives that the photo was taken when he was in hospital in france. On the photo though he does look rather well and fit wearing his 'blues', and i thought the photo must have been taken later somewhere in the UK?

I also know he was discharged to Pension Nov/Dec 1916.

His name was Harry Tuckwood, from Sheffield.

Joseph (Charles), from this forum, was the provider of much info re Harrry, i would like to say a public thank you to Charles on behalf of the existing family.

regards

Dean.

• 1 year later...
A suplementary - some overseas hospitals were in places where it gets seriously hot in the summer. Was there a tropical version of hospital blues?

I've read one Canadian nurse's account of her service with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force. The men had light-weight hospital pyjamas to wear while convalescing (more illness than injuries in her hospital), but they were donated by a charity of some kind and were apparently quite brilliantly coloured. I'm not sure that the Canadian tradition of hospital blues is quite as strong as the British one, but have come across some references to blues in a Canadian context. Maybe some parallels? Not sure if this helps any!

Melissa