Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DESTROYERS

IAN.MCLEOD

Hi Everyone, what information has anyone regarding the following Destroyer`s survivors?

HMS Ghurka 08 02 1917 I have 75 killed 6 survivors

HMS Mary Rose 17 10 1917 I have 87 killed 10 survivors

HMS Paragon 18 03 1917 I have 76 killed 3 survivors apparently there were 10 so 7 short and what ship rescued her survivors?

HMS Partridge 12 12 1917 I have 74 killed 1 prisoner of war who died 22 11 1918 3 survivors apparently 20 short and all were ratings!

HMS Tornado 23 12 1917 I have 75 killed and just 2 survivors both officers apparently 18 were rescued ? and what ship/s rescued them

HMS Torrent 23 12 1917 I have 69 killed and just 3 survivors again only officers apparently 7 just saved? and what ship/s rescued them

apparently the radiant rescued the Surprise crew which was 49 could she have rescued the others? I don`t think the Valkyrie could have as she too had been mined?

Best regards Ian

Ian, find award to Lt.Cdr BUTT for services HMS PARTRIDGE ;

BUTT Percy L N/E Lt.Cdr(E) RN 78A119 Partridge

C-in-C Grand Fleet 24.05.19 Gazetted

Sinking of H.M.S. Partridge by German Destroyers 12.12.17 DSO

For gallant conduct in action on board H.M.S. "Partridge" on the 12 December, 1917.

H.M.S. "Partridge", while screening a Scandanavian Convoy, was attacked by a superior enemy force and put out of action. The Commanding Officer of "Partridge" has made a report to the Admiralty that Engineer Lt.Commander Butt, in order to make sure the ship would sink and not fall into the enemy's hands, went three times into the engine room, which was full of steam, and remained there until there was no doubt that the vessel would sink.

Regards Sadsac

Ian, award for one of `your' destroyers for services to others, which gives the answer to your question ;

NASH Geoffrey S.F N/E Cdr. RN 78C030 Radiant N/E

08.03.18 Gazetted Harwich T.B. Destroyers 1917 Mentioned in Despatches

For long and distinguished service in the Harwich Force.

Picked up survivors from the three destroyers lost on the 23rd December, 1917, under circumstances of great difficulty and danger.

Regards Sadsac

Ian, Awards for MARY ROSE ;

FOX Charles L Killed in Action Lt. RN 78A058

Mary Rose C-in-C Grand Fleet 07.08.18 Gazetted

Action with enemy Light Cruisers 17.10.17 Mentioned in Despatches

Fought a gallant action against overwhelming odds, in endeavouring to protect the convoy, of which he was in charge. He was killed during the engagement.

Their Lordships' appreciation and admiration expressed of the gallant manner in which he engaged and fought enemy forces of greatly superior strength. The conduct of all the officers and crew throughout the whole of this unequal contest is considered to have been in accordance with the highest traditions of the service.

FREEMAN John R.D N/E Lt. RN 78A057

Mary Rose C-in-C Grand Fleet 07.08.18 Gazetted

Action with enemy Light Cruisers 17.10.17 DSC

Gallantly performed his duty in charge of a 4 inch gun in "Mary Rose" while in action against superior forces.

The Court Martial held that S/Lt. Freeman, who was senior officer of the survivors appears to have done all that was possible, and to have taken charge satisfactorily under the trying conditions existing.

Their Lordships' consider that the conduct of all the officers and crew of H.M.S. "Mary Rose" throughout the whole of this unequal contest is to have been in accordance with the highest traditions of the service.

Sadsac

• 1 month later...
Guest alexpaget

Hi Everyone, what information has anyone regarding the following Destroyer`s survivors?

HMS Ghurka 08 02 1917 I have 75 killed 6 survivors

HMS Mary Rose 17 10 1917 I have 87 killed 10 survivors

HMS Paragon 18 03 1917 I have 76 killed 3 survivors apparently there were 10 so 7 short and what ship rescued her survivors?

HMS Partridge 12 12 1917 I have 74 killed 1 prisoner of war who died 22 11 1918 3 survivors apparently 20 short and all were ratings!

HMS Tornado 23 12 1917 I have 75 killed and just 2 survivors both officers apparently 18 were rescued ? and what ship/s rescued them

HMS Torrent 23 12 1917 I have 69 killed and just 3 survivors again only officers apparently 7 just saved? and what ship/s rescued them

apparently the radiant rescued the Surprise crew which was 49 could she have rescued the others? I don`t think the Valkyrie could have as she too had been mined?

Best regards Ian

HELLO

MY NAME IS ALEX PAGET AND MY GRANDFATHER PETER ALEXANDER FAICHNEY WAS THE SHIPS SURGEON ON THE HMS PARTRIDGE AND HE WAS ONE OF THE SURVIVORS, HE SPENT THE REST OF THE WAR IN A PRISONER OF WAR CAMP ,I HAVE HIS MEDALS AND PICTURES IN THE PRISON CAMP, AND RECENTLEY GOOGLED THE HMS PARTRIDGE UNDER IMAGES AND A PICTURE OF THE CREW WITH MY GRANDFATHER ON MATERIALISED ASWELL AS THE MOMENT SHE WAS TORPEDOED, I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME HOW TO OBTAIN MORE INFO

Hello Alex,

Thank you for sharing that infomation and Sadsac for replying to my enquiry! I presume he was a Surgeon Probationer RNVR? Any other information would be appreciated and I have a list of all that collated etc in excel courtesy of Donald Kindell.

Best regards Ian

Guest alexpaget
Hello Alex,

Thank you for sharing that infomation and Sadsac for replying to my enquiry! I presume he was a Surgeon Probationer RNVR? Any other information would be appreciated and I have a list of all that collated etc in excel courtesy of Donald Kindell.

Best regards Ian

Hello Ian

I have attached the picture from the internet and will scan the picture from the pow camp, as I have to copy them for my mother due to the fact the originals and medals are going on permanent loan to the Oban war and peace museum, alongside his brother Jackie Faichneys RFC uniform.Could you tell me how to obtain the excel info from you?

Regards

Alex

post-35955-1215766814.jpg

post-35955-1215766936.jpg

Hello Alex,

Send me your email Address via Member Messages or post it on the forum? or contact Don Kindell who has my email address!

Regarding your Granfather does he mention any other of the survivors I know the officers now and only 1 rating?

Best regards Ian

• 4 years later...

I know this is somewhat out of date, but if anyone is researching HMS Partridge (sunk 12/12/1917), like me, and comes across this crew photo,should know that M class Destroyers were manned by around 80 crew members, the above photo I believe to be of an earlier HMS Partridge, there was seven in total, the WW1 version being the sixth.

Ian, here is an award for services rendered PARAGON. May be ofhelp ??

BARRY Stephen N/E Lt. RN 78A047 Umpire

Commodore F 08.03.18 Gazetted

Periodic Awards down to 31.12.17 - 13th Destroyer Flotilla

Mentioned in Despatches

Has served 2½ years in Destroyers.

Was present at Jutland and Heligoland Bight 17.11.17, in which he was Control Officer, and obtained one certain hit on an enemy T.B.D.

Was senior survivor of H.M.S. "Laforey".

He went over the side and rescued a Leading Seaman of "Paragon", when that ship sank, at the risk of his life.

Sadsac

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...