Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

121 Bgde RFA and Ypres

dennisrichards

Hi

I have a relative who was in "B" Bty. 121st Bde., Royal Field Artillery. He was killed on Wednesday 29 August 1917 and buried at Bard Cottage,Ypres . I'm finding it a little difficult to find the deployment of this Brigade during this time in Aug 1917. Can I safely assume that he was killed in the lead up to the Battle of Passchendaele? What "Army group" would he have been fighting with?

Thanks

Dennis

Hi Dennis, welcome to the forum,

Daniel Richards was a driver with 'B'Battery 121st Brigade which was part of 38th (Welsh) Division hence his 'W' prefix to his service number. The division had just taken part in the Battle of Langemarck 16th - 18th August, which was part of the Third Battle of Ypres. Daniel is listed as having been KiA on the 29th August. To be sure of the battery location it may be worth getting hold of the brigades war diary for the month of August 1917 which is available at the National Archives under WO 95/2546

cheers, Jon

Thank Jon

You're amazing! Less than 24 hours since I posted and you even worked out who my relative was - poor Daniel. I've ordered on-line the Brigades Diaries as you suggested.

Thanks a lot.

By the way my Welsh Richards grandfather and his 7 brothers (ie a total of 8, Daniel (above) was a diffent family branch) all went to WW1 and all returned home to Llanelli alive! It's a very exciting story. They were:

David Richards Reg No 3269 4th Welsh: Pte; Lance Corp; Cpl (2B) Balkans 7/8/15 Dis 8/5/16

William John Richards Reg No ? Royal Engineers Corporal [no more info]

Benjamin Richards (also recorded as E Richards) Reg No 3268 4th Welsh R: Pte; A/Cp2; Sgt.(2B) Balkans 7/8/15 Dis 8/5/16

Henry J Richards Welsh R; 4th Bn, Reg No 3159; Cpl;Enlistment 1/4/1908; Discharge: 15/3/1915 P.392 xvi KR A.O. 265/17 para B(ii); Awarded Silver War Badge (List J119/1) [affected by gas, died in 1928]

Elvet Richards Reg No 3686 4th Welsh R; Pte; (2B) Balkans 7/8/15 Dis 19/5/16

Glyn Richards Reg No 335 RE(T): 448068 RE; Sapper; 3 Egypt 2/8/15 Disemb 4/6/19 [my granddad]

Ernest Richards Reg No 5288;201252 4th Welsh: Pte; (2B) Balkans 1/9/15 D/E 3/3/19[he was POW of Turks in "Palestine"]

Cyril Richards Reg No 49214 S W Bord: Pte; [NR 9th Platoon C Company 53rd Battalion]

I' just starting to find out where they served. It's all fairly new to me so undoubtedly I'll be back on the forum with questions.

I'm very excited about this now.

Thanks again

Dennis from Cockatoo, Australia

Hi Dennis, welcome to the forum,

Daniel Richards was a driver with 'B'Battery 121st Brigade which was part of 38th (Welsh) Division hence his 'W' prefix to his service number. The division had just taken part in the Battle of Langemarck 16th - 18th August, which was part of the Third Battle of Ypres. Daniel is listed as having been KiA on the 29th August. To be sure of the battery location it may be worth getting hold of the brigades war diary for the month of August 1917 which is available at the National Archives under WO 95/2546

cheers, Jon

• 4 months later...

Hi Dennis,

Don't know if you're still on the forum - but worth a try. I'm currentlu researching all the men in 38 Div arty in 1915 (quite a large task) it in the units part of the forum. Could you add any information you have on your man in there please? My grandfather was there but don't know which brigade or battery - yet. So looking at them all. Regards Huw

• 9 years later...

Sorry to bump the old thread. @dennisrichards my Great great grandfather Thomas Davies served in D battery 121 R.F.A brigade. He did move batterys from time to time from the looks of his records so maybe he served some time with Daniel.

Thomas was also from Llanelli Carmarthen and returned home in 1918. I wonder if he and youre relatives were pals.

Hope your well 

Lew

Edited by Lewis Sullivan

• 2 years later...
On 23/10/2008 at 11:51, huwrevans said:

Hi Dennis,

Don't know if you're still on the forum - but worth a try. I'm currentlu researching all the men in 38 Div arty in 1915 (quite a large task) it in the units part of the forum. Could you add any information you have on your man in there please? My grandfather was there but don't know which brigade or battery - yet. So looking at them all. Regards Huw

Hi Huw,

Sorry to bump an old thread - I am a collector to W prefix men from the 38th Div - are you still researching this?

Cheers

Gavin

• 2 years later...
On 29/07/2020 at 12:34, GMB said:

Hi Huw,

Sorry to bump an old thread - I am a collector to W prefix men from the 38th Div - are you still researching this?

Cheers

Gavin

Hi Gavin, Not been on the forum for a while - research has been overtaken by other more mundane things for the present.  But hopefully will pick it up again in the near future Regards Huw