Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking For William Kirby

dragon59

I am looking for any info on William Kirby who i believe was a Staff Sergeant in the Royal Sherwood Foresters. He was born in 1891 in nottinghamshire and was not killed in action as he passed away in 1976. I have been told he had quite a career. Sadly i do not know his service number, so any help in tracking him down would be brilliant.

thanks

gina

I am looking for any info on William Kirby who i believe was a Staff Sergeant in the Royal Sherwood Foresters. He was born in 1891 in nottinghamshire and was not killed in action as he passed away in 1976. I have been told he had quite a career. Sadly i do not know his service number, so any help in tracking him down would be brilliant.

thanks

gina

From the details you have given this would appear a likely candidate:

post-754-1212576305.jpeg

From the details you have given this would appear a likely candidate:

Thanks Northern Soul. Any chance you could explain whats on the card as i have not got a clue what things mean?

gina

Hi Gina,

Welcome to the forum. The card that Northern Soul as posted is a medal index card. It gives you the mans name number and regiment, along with the medale that he was entitled too. If you click on the link that I have attached it will give you some idea of whats on the card.

Regards. Llew.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...line/medals.asp

Hi Gina,

Welcome to the forum. The card that Northern Soul as posted is a medal index card. It gives you the mans name number and regiment, along with the medale that he was entitled too. If you click on the link that I have attached it will give you some idea of whats on the card.

Regards. Llew.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...line/medals.asp

Hi Llew

Thansfor the link. All i need to do is prove he is my William.

gina

Gina,

This is a William Kirby on the 1901 census for England. Do you think that this could be your man?

Regards. Llew.

1901 England Census

about William Kirby

Name: William Kirby

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892

Relation: Son

Father's Name: Arthur W

Mother's Name: Ruth

Where born: Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England

Civil Parish: Southwell

Ecclesiastical parish: Holy Trinity

Town: Southwell

County/Island: Nottinghamshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Southwell

Sub registration district: Southwell

ED, institution, or vessel: 5

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 74

Household Members: Name Age

Arthur W Kirby 31

Elsie M Kirby 3

Leonard Kirby 11

Louie D Kirby 4

Ruth Kirby 29

William Kirby 9

Gina,

This is a William Kirby on the 1901 census for England. Do you think that this could be your man?

Regards. Llew.

1901 England Census

about William Kirby

Name: William Kirby

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892

Relation: Son

Father's Name: Arthur W

Mother's Name: Ruth

Where born: Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England

Civil Parish: Southwell

Ecclesiastical parish: Holy Trinity

Town: Southwell

County/Island: Nottinghamshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Southwell

Sub registration district: Southwell

ED, institution, or vessel: 5

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 74

Household Members: Name Age

Arthur W Kirby 31

Elsie M Kirby 3

Leonard Kirby 11

Louie D Kirby 4

Ruth Kirby 29

William Kirby 9

Hi Llew

Yes this is my guy. I need to establish that this William and the medal card William are the same person. Not sure how to do this?

gina

• 5 months later...

It turns out that this is my William Kirby. I contacted the Sherwood Foresters Museum in Nottingham and they sent me some info. Some is pretty easy to work out but i am not so sure with other bits. I will write what i was sent and would appreciate any input. Also the medal card mentioned earlier in this thread states he had the British war Medal and Victory medal. According to info recieved he also had the 1914 Star. Why is this not mentioned?Info received from museum:Part II Orders 2nd Battalion dated 1911 shows was placed under orders for service abroad in India on posting to 1st Battalion and to embark at Southampton on 27.9.1911 and that leave was granted from 4th Aug 1911 to 12th Sept 1911 and was with 'D' Company (as a Pte)--shown in The Old Stubborns Vol V No 46 Jan 1912 as passed an examination at Secunderabad on 31.8.1912 and is qualified in Practical Sanitation-Army Book 358(Book 2)(4960990-4961990)forwarded to Regimental Museum Archives from Hayes Records Office shows:-enlisted with early number 11168 as regular on 7/5 engagement on 15.7.1909 when aged 18 yrs and was a farm labourer by trade.Married Basford, Notts 18.10.1920-Served India 5.8.1914 to 2.9.1914, Home 3.9.1914 to 3.11.1914, France 4.11.1914, 17.12.1914, Home 18.12.1914 to 17.3.1915, France 18.3.1915 to 10.5.1915, Home 11.5.1915 to 17.9.1915, Gallipoli(9th Bn)8.9.1915 to 27.6.1916, France 28.6.1916 to 13.9.1916, France 6.6.1917, wounded 27.4.1915 -- Discharged 14.7.1921 Holds 1914 Star, BWM, VM Shown in 1st Bn Roll book 1914-18 - Embarked with 1st Battalion on 4.11.14 and served with 'D' Company Entry in roll reads W.27.4.15 E.9.5.15 --shown in book 'Digest of Service' 3rd Battalion 1914-18 (covers mid 1915 to mid 1916) in Regtl Archives as: Engagement was for S.S. Served with L. Company Was a Corporal posted to 9th Battalion 18.9.1915 Shown in S.O. Indexed record book Sherwood Foresters Discharge Documents 1921 forwarded from A.R.O.Hayes Jul 2005 as:-Discharged 14.7.1921 Morse research document (held in regimental archives) into 9th Bn shows served Great War 1914-18 with 1st Bn then with 9th Bn Would be grateful for any help into putting this into plain english. Many thanks Gina

The card at the top is a specific 1914 Star card - he received the 1914 Star for arrival in France on 4th November 1914 as noted on the card, which is recorded on Medal Roll reference F/1/1/49 as shown in the section marked "Roll on which included (if any)" The BWM/VM information was then added later using a stamped box.

"Morse Research document" refers to a Forum member - Steve Morse. An expert of the 9th Battalion. I suspect he can add more...

If no-one decodes the info for you, I'll have a go, but time is short right now.

Steve.

I shall attempt to have a look tonight.

I might just send Steve Morse a message to get him to drop by, as well.

Steve.

Archived